Utorrent and Linksys?

The Mackem

Member ++
Reaction score
I have a Linksys WRT54GS (v7.0) which I am using with Utorrent. I have one problem though. Because I do not have a static IP and use a DHCP assigned address from my cable company I have to check what my IP address and assign this in the router config for Utorrent to work. Is there anyway I can get Utorrent to work without having to do this manually? The router is hard wired to my pc, as I'm only using the wireless to connect my 360 to the internet or my laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob.

do you plug your pc into the router? your router will get the server dchp but if you plug your pc into it can you not assign a static ip to the pc?

ooops just read it back, can you get to the config page, ??

Linksys WRT54G... is to assign your computer an IP address outside the range of addresses that your router gives out automatically. By forcing the computer to use a specific IP address, we avoid the problem of receiving a new address every time we power the computer on. In this case we'll make the change in your computer's network settings. But first, we'll want to double-check the range of IP addresses that your router gives out, so that two different computers never get the same IP address.

h**p://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/staticlocalip.html

Last edited:
which ever network card your router is plugged into, goto the properties/internet protocol on that card and assign your own ip. eg 192.168.1.100, subnet 255.255.255.0 & default gateway 192.168.1.1, you can also set your own dns which on mine is 194.168.4.100 & 194.168.8.100 but your settings could be differant to mine, you,l have to check. Apply this and reboot and check your internet is still working. Then in your routers config page goto the application and gaming and port forward. On utorrent in options it will tell you the ports it uses, UDP and TCP, note these down, Set these ports on the port forwarding page on the routers config and use the static IP you gave your network card. eg 192.168.1.100 and enable them..
Your torrents should work and not be blocked and resetting the pc wont change this due to you setting up the static iP..
hope this is what you meant ...

Thanks

just tried to assign my own ip address and rebooted but found the pc wouldn't connect to the internet. I'm just going to double check things and give it another go.

Thanks for the help and suggestions though.

Rob.

Thankyou

I double checked and had forgot to assign dns servers. I've put these in and it seems to be working ok now. Utorrent connected ok with the manually assigned ip address. Just going to redo Xbox connection now and check the laptop.

But thankyou very much for your help.

Rob.:Clap:

Back