user guide to install yellow dog linux on Ps3

cg010169

DW Regular
Reaction score
Thought this might come in handle for people who wanna put it on there system.
It's a step by step guide, enjoy. Also included some pics to help

Things you need to have

USB MOUSE
USB KEYBOARD
FLASH DRIVE OR CD with the other OS file on it.

When you put the file onto your flashdrive or cd make sure it's in a folder called otheros

Instructions for HDTV:

For all those who have older HDTV's, if your tv does not do 720p you will have to use the text install method which requires 3 more steps.

Start by inserting the Other OS disc or flash drive where the other os is stored into your PS3. Now go to the settings menu, then "install other os". When you click this the PS3 will start scanning all available options for the necessary files. Once it does this, it will find the file “otheros.self” and will ask you to confirm this is indeed the file you are looking to install. Press X on the controller to confirm and then follow the onscreen instructions.

Once this is done you still have to tell the system to boot up with this OS. Go to:
Settings===>System Settings===>Default System and select “Other OS”.

Put the DVD of Linux that you created in the drive. In order for the installer package to boot you have to restart the system…do it!

Step Four

After you restart the system, you will see two penguins in the upper left hand corner of the screen along with a whole lot of text scrolling.

This will happen every time you boot Linux. Eventually you will get to a point when it prompts “kboot”. In the future you will be able to boot back to the dashboard by typing “boot-game-os” at this point, but for now just leave it be and the install will continue. If you don’t see the “kboot” and the system seems to be stuck in a loop, your keyboard and mouse might not be supported. When this happened to me all I did was unplug the keyboard and it stopped. I then held the power button on the system for five seconds until it beeped and it rebooted to the dashboard no worse for ware. If this happens just repeat the second half of step three and start over.

Now comes the tricky part. If you are on an HD TV, you will automatically be placed in the graphical set up. You will know that this has occurred when the screen flashes and there are more penguins on the top of the screen as well as much smaller type. If this is the case then you should be good to go. If you are one of the unlucky people who is still stuck with a standard definition television, then you are going to have to deal with the text install. This is a bit trickier, but I will include an appendix to this that features step by step instructions to make your life easier.

Assuming that you are doing the graphical install, the next parts are all rather easy. The only part that is a bit scary is when the system asks you some questions relating to whether or not you want to format the partition for Linux.

Just hit yes to the two questions and the system will start the overall install. When this is going on, I would recommend finding something else to do as it took my system almost a full hour to complete installation.

Once the system is installed, it will prompt you to create a “root” password. This is the system administrator password and goes with the login ID “root”. Make sure to remember it as you will need it to install or make any major changes to your system. It will then ask you to make a general user ID and password.

After all this fun, the system will reboot and you will be in the wonderful world of Linux. Yellow Dog has a fairly robust GUI so if you are used to windows, you will have no problem with this.

Standard Definition Install Instructions:

Appendix 1: Text Install Help

Do exactly as I say here step by step and you should get YDL installed on your PS3 with a standard TV. Make sure your network settings are set up with a wired connection and it works.

1. Set up your PS3s by partitioning the HDD for another OS and copy the 2 installation files needed from the CD i send you.

2. Insert the YDL 5.0 DVD i send you and turn on the playstation 3. Youll see it boot up some computer mumbo jumbo and it will eventually reach a prompt that looks like this;

kboot:

at this point you can press the tab key to cycle through your command options or just type installtext, like this;

kboot: installtext

3. Follow the installation instructions. It will, at one point, ask you to make a password for your root login. Remember it. Once instalation is complete your almost done. You can remove the disc.

4. Once it reboots it will reach the kboot: prompt again, this time tab through untill you see ydl480i or ydltext, either one will work, then press enter.

kboot: ydl480i

5. This will run through more computer booting information and lead you to a prompt that looks like this;

localhostlogin:

this is where you need to log in. type root;

localhostlogin: root

then enter the pasword you created during installation;

localhostlogin: root
password: _

now you will be told your logged in and ready for the next step.

6. youll need to download a file to install to run your YDL on your standard TV, to do so type this exactly;

wget http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/Xautoconfig-0.23-2.ydl.2.ppc.rpm

EXACTLY. You will then download the file, it should be quick.

7. Once its finished downloading you need to install it by typing this;

rpm -ivh Xautoconfig-0.23-2.ydl.2.ppc.rpm

then it will install that file. Almost done.

8. The forgotten step: type "Xautoconfig"

9. The next step is to edit two files. type this to do so;

editdiff /etc/inittab

a lot of text will appear that you can scroll through with the aarow keys. You'll need to find the line that reads;

id:3:initdefault:

to edit it, press the 'i' key. Now you can enter in new text and delete old text, change that line so it says;

id:5:initdefault:

once you are done changing it you need to press ESC. This will stop you from editing. now type;

:exit

to return to the original prompt. You can type that anywhere, as long as you hit ESC. Now you need to edit the second file, type this;

editdiff /etc/kboot.conf

find the line that reads;

default=ydl

and change it to say (by pressing 'i' again)

default=ydl480i

and return to the prompt (by pressing ESC and typing :exit). Now that your at the original prompt type;

reboot

Guess what? Your done. If you followed those steps once it restarts it will load up to the GUI and ask for your login name and password again (root and whatever you made). Now its up to you to do what you want, you probably want to make a new user login or something, I dont know, Im just writing this so you know how to install it.

sounds good to me if i put this on my ps3 can i install vlc to it and will it stream from any pc on a network if the network pc's are running vista or does it have to have linux on the pc also.

It should do all them things fine m8. but im not 100% sure about the vista side to it.

But with VLC you have todo a bit of coding before it will work. But once it does you can play anythink on it.

I'll post the stuff about getting VLC to work on linux in a bit

I think the vista side to it is an addon called Beryl.

It's not yet optimised to work on a PS3 but there is something in the works.

I hope that comes out soon as I'm waiting for it!!!!

im trying to install ydl on my ps3 and i keep getting the message "no applicable installer found" am i missing something or doimg something wrong?

TIA

did you put the otheros files on a mem stick m8 think that could be your prob you can get the files all over the place just google it hope this helps

Back