Used car advice

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at 7 seater cars such as q7 (also discovery 4 and xc90 if q7 should be avoided). The ones in my price range are around 2008 plate with around 110-140k on the clock. Would i be looking at a lot of work to keep the engine working in goos condition or do i not have a lot to worry about?

Is there anything i can ask or physically check when going to see and drive used cars? This can be for engine or anything else (e.g i know the disco 3 requires gearbox service due to some issue)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look at the Nissan quashki great little motor and 7 seater. The disco in my opinion maybe cheap but the insurance is scandalous.

Have a look at the Nissan quashki great little motor and 7 seater. The disco in my opinion maybe cheap but the insurance is scandalous.

I love the new range; older range is not as good looking. Didn't know they did 7 seater models. Will look as i know nissans are known for reliability (as far as i am aware)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far my 2009 XC90 D5 (185hp) has proven to be very reliable with average 29-30MPG combined. Bought it CAT D end of 2015 for £5500 with 95k mileage. Drove it to Spain and Portugal (averaged about 31 MPG during the trip).
I previously own an XC90 T6 (3.0 petrol) which was very thirsty and had gearbox fault - best to avoid this model.
My mate has a Q7 with all the toys, and seems happy with it, but he paid £20k for his (beyond my budget :)).

They do suffer with DPF filters though. Seen loads. The dpf is too far away from the exhaust manifold. and cant heat up properly.

Well, probably totally did the wrong thing but I bought a vw beetle 2004 for 550, it was supposed to be 750 but with 77k on the clock I thought it was not bad. It needs some new back tyres and I'm hoping these won't cost me too much? It also probably needs a service too! But it's mot'd for a year...

Well, probably totally did the wrong thing but I bought a vw beetle 2004 for 550, it was supposed to be 750 but with 77k on the clock I thought it was not bad. It needs some new back tyres and I'm hoping these won't cost me too much? It also probably needs a service too! But it's mot'd for a year...

Just get it serviced and the tyres done should be about 50 quid each for budget tyres . The mot is a good sign.....

Any ideas how much the service will cost?
Dont pay more than 100 for an oil change. If it needs a full service, no more than. 180 ish. You could do it yourself and save a fortune. That's what I do.

There are some great part worn tyres about m8. All with good treads try that option Get your wheels balanced too. As for your service it should be no more than 160.00 at a local garage.Do not use main stealers or Kwikshits they will just find faults.

There are some great part worn tyres about m8. All with good treads try that option Get your wheels balanced too. As for your service it should be no more than 160.00 at a local garage.Do not use main stealers or Kwikshits they will just find faults.
Is finding faults a bad thing ?

If their genuine no, but the wife went into kwitfit last year for 1 tyre and she was told she needed 4, I had checked them before she went and
the other 3 were only part worn, I took it back and the manager agreed I only needed 1, their robbing bastards. :mad:

Sorry Ian some garages like finding extra work ie you go in for a tyre and come out with new brakes and an exhaust all of which maybe unnecessary. What is on my mind is is this car has 12 Months MOT yet he needs two rear tyres now that is odd dont you think?.

Back