USBs not recognised by TM6900HD Super

Hi holmroad, For a quick and easy test of a USB power supply, I use a USB Notebook light, think mine cost about £1.50ish from Amazon. Just plug it into your USB socket, if the LED lights the Power is OK, if not then you have a power supply problem in the STB.

Hi holmroad, For a quick and easy test of a USB power supply, I use a USB Notebook light, think mine cost about £1.50ish from Amazon. Just plug it into your USB socket, if the LED lights the Power is OK, if not then you have a power supply problem in the STB.

Hi mate and thanx for your reply!
My memory stick actually lights up normally when I plug it into the USB port of my TM6900HD Super when switched on - but it doesn't any more, so suppose that's telling me the same thing Gwyn?

Hi Holmroad - in your case it would appear to be a USB Power supply problem, but be aware, that some Flash drives do not have an led in them, and others only light when passing data.
You do not say if your external hard drive is powered by the USB port, or has it's own power supply. If the former then you could try one with its own power supply.

If your Ext HD already has a power supply, and that does not work, then the fault lies in either the USB Driver chip (usually a MB replacement), or its associated USB power control/stabilizer circuit, which supports the Driver chip, and both USB ports. As digidude et al have said the most likely cause then is the Electrolytic Filter capacitors. This info is relevant to laptops, but I am only assuming that the same goes for the STB.

Last edited:
Hi Holmroad - in your case it would appear to be a USB Power supply problem, but be aware, that some Flash drives do not have an led in them, and others only light when passing data.
You do not say if your external hard drive is powered by the USB port, or has it's own power supply. If the former then you could try one with its own power supply.

If your Ext HD already has a power supply, and that does not work, then the fault lies in either the USB Driver chip (usually a MB replacement), or its associated USB power control/stabilizer circuit, which supports the Driver chip, and both USB ports. As digidude et al have said the most likely cause then is the Electrolytic Filter capacitors. This info is relevant to laptops, but I am only assuming that the same goes for the STB.

Thanks again Gwyn, my external 500GB HD DOES have its own power supply so seems we are now getting somewhere in diagnosing the likely fault and that its probably not a 'simple' fault which can be corrected with new software or the like and will need someone who knows what he's doing to sort it out for me?
Meanwhile I'll press on using my serial cable plus try to obtain a part X for a TM5402HD which does seem to be 'THE' current favourite with so many?

Seems I may now need to repair my TM6900HD Super's USB fault, so can anyone please help as my only other choice now would be to send the box to Technomate for repair, which could cost me an arm & a leg!!

did they tell you the costs yet to fix would it be worth it in the end, maybe upgrade to a tm6902 with all the new extra features of youtube and divx player,ect. and faster interface and still have the dtt and ease of use like you know from your 6900super
just an idea i don't know your budget, i upgraded my 6900nonsuper to 6902 and very happy with it.

did they tell you the costs yet to fix would it be worth it in the end, maybe upgrade to a tm6902 with all the new extra features of youtube and divx player,ect. and faster interface and still have the dtt and ease of use like you know from your 6900super
just an idea i don't know your budget, i upgraded my 6900nonsuper to 6902 and very happy with it.

Thanks mate, yes sounds interesting, but actually apart from the USB 'irritation' its working perfectly, that's why a repair may or not be worthwhile - and that's partly why I was considering a TM5402HD as it also has You-Tube etc, plus 1080P picture quality, is much cheaper than te 6902 (?) etc etc - but only ONE USB!
So Technomate couldn't give me a repair price until they'd seen it, quite reasonably I thought, but at the end of the day would all the inconvenience be really worth it?
Oh, yes, I really haven't much of a budget, I'm only considering options because I was forced into it with the USB problem arising!

maybe they will give you a good trade in price for an other tm because your tm is only a few years old to keep a happy costumer

maybe they will give you a good trade in price for an other tm because your tm is only a few years old to keep a happy costumer

Do you REALLY think so my friend - I'm a bit cynical on things like that - as rarely in MY experience do you get anything for nothing?

Hi guys, I know its taken a while but just found out that three caps (1 x 2200 uf 10v and 2 x 1500 uf 10v) seem to have 'bulged' on left hand (as look down at it with top cover off) power etc board (with massive motherboard on right hand side hopefully not affected!) so have ordered them up from supplier even though I'm not over confident of removing the three offending ones and soldering in the three new ones, so fingers crossed time!(I am suffering regular freezing now too - as well as the two USB's not working!)

Update on above:-
Just hoping that the capacitors may me the cause of most of my probs maybe due to overheating when 'overloaded' as the temp rating on the original ones probably was only 80 deg C (my TM6900HD Super is well over 2 yrs old) and the new replacements for the three bulging ones is 105 deg C as suggested by Bob!
Talking of 'overloading' - this has all occurred whilst using the '8281' facilities this past two or three months, so suppose its fair to assume the capacitors in question may have got much hotter during this time than under previous conditions?
For instance, I have been running on 'standard' use this morning for over two hours watching BBC1 on 28E with no freezing at all, yet when using 8281 yesterday afternoon it was freezing up every two or three minutes! So conclusion may be that the capacitors simply can't take the extra loads?
Just thought this info may help other fellow 'sufferers'

capacitors DO dry out over time, they have an electrolytic gel inside of them, which is why theyre rated, 85 degrees, or 105 degrees for expensive ones. caps drying out in power supplies is the most coommon cause of failure in electrical equipment, wether its a power supply from a cheapo £43 dm500 clone, or a power supply from a £4000 panasonic plasma TV, ive repaired them both for less than a quid.

i did see your PM to me m8, but i was reading on my phone, and have been sop busy that i forgot to reply when i was back at the computer, sorry, but this could well be the cause of your problems (as mentioned earlier in the thread)

if you dont feel confident to solder them in, if youre in the UK, post them to my work address (that ill supply by PM) and ill replace them for you m8, ive got such a backlog of things i have to fix next week that one other thing wont make any difference lol. im off the road all next week, so can sort it out (and yours jimmyP lol)

just to add, the freezing on 'other' channels, would be down to your line providor, if it was down to the caps, its happen on FTA broadcasts as well

just to add, the freezing on 'other' channels, would be down to your line providor, if it was down to the caps, its happen on FTA broadcasts as well

Yes thanks mate, I do see what you mean, but its IS true that yesterday every time I connected it kept freezing up totally - I had to switch off at back each time to clear the freezes mate! So not like the 'usual'c/s server freezes?
Yet when I disconnected and watched BBC 1 for over two hrs it worked perfectly without need to switch off mains!
I see you are near Hull, well I'm in North Lincs, so if you were agreeable I could always pop over with it at YOUR leisure - but going away on Sunday until following weekend so no chance actually 'during' next week mate!
Then we could have a proper chat - but I'm retired so could fit in with YOU!
Hope I'm not being too cheeky?

One further observation for digidude:
My present caps are 2200uf and 1500uf and its that spec I have ordered as replacements, albeit at 105 deg C rating instead of the older lower rating - but on another site I have been recommended to replace with C14 3300uF instead (thats for the 2200uf ones) but I already have the lower 2200uf now arrived!
What do I do now, change again or see how they go with 2200uf please?
(Getting a little confused with all this as a total leyman!!)

sounds like the internal power supply is begining to fail m8, have you also had any issues with the motor moving, or receiving channels on horizontal polarity?

how handy are you with a screwdriver and soldering iron m8, as if its what i think it is, itll cost less than a quid to fix

the person who posted that theirs went faulty after turning it off, this is common with failing power supplies, theyll keep going untill theyre powered off, the capacitors discharge, then when theyre powered back on, the surge causes them to completley fail

if you lift the lid off the receiver, and look at the power supply board, youll see small 'cans' , if the tops of these are slightly bulging, thats your problem and they need replacing

Sorry but forgot to reply to your point about polarity or dish moving mate - but touch wood both still ok and no probs!

Hi all - and especially digidude:-
Just to let you all know I've finally got my trusty satman to nchange my caps as described earlier - and the good news is that my USB's are BOTH now working again ok - GREAT eh?
Only other slight problem I have is that every now & again I boot up with no satellites appearing (well not connectimg as requested that is!) and I have to switch receeiver off & on again, sometimes several times, to bring it all back!:drink:

bonjour j ai le même problème pour que sa fonctionne moi je doit mettre le patch 737 avec les plus récent sa ne va pas a ????

bonjour j ai le même problème pour que sa fonctionne moi je doit mettre le patch 737 avec les plus récent sa ne va pas a ????

Bonjour - but think we all have to converse in English on here please mate?:love:

Back