Usb - Rs232

inerita

Member ++
Reaction score
None of my computers have a comm port on them.
would this (or something similar) :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-ARRIVAL-U...837372335QQcategoryZ41995QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

be ok for these 2 purposes :

1) programming cards (mosc / tit / tit2 / atmega) in pheonix / smartmouse modes on my "New Infinity Phoenix SmartCard Programmer " I bought on ebay (this one : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5834263544&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT)

2) hyperterminaling to modems such as the NTL:200 via the special cable.

Ile buy one if it will work. Thanks.

buy a riseer or pci or agp slot in comm port???sorted

Im pretty certain AGP ones dont exist ;)

Ide rather use the USB adapter if somone can clarify that it will work for what i want it to.

I will get a PCI card if needed but my SLI motherbaord only has 3 PCI slots so ide rather not use one for a comm port if the USB device will work.
: colors1

They are tricky little devices ( USB to RS232). Make sure that the com port is set ( or reset it) to COM1 or COM2. A lot of them set themselves to COM5 on install. Your application software may only allow settings of 1-4........

AtmelAce said:
They are tricky little devices ( USB to RS232). Make sure that the com port is set ( or reset it) to COM1 or COM2. A lot of them set themselves to COM5 on install. Your application software may only allow settings of 1-4........

So presuming I can get it to be com 1, 2 , 3 , or 4 then it will work fine ?

Thanks

i design usb ports for my company, what we do is disable com port in bios then this will allow you to select com1 or com 2 for your usb adapter

The best fix for this is to get an old pc with comm ports off of ebay (payed £14 for a p3 500 deskpro about 3 months age) and use that for doing cards, Dboxes etc.

You will always encounter problems with some of the software and hardware used for cable simply because it was designed around true comm ports .....

I use one on my laptop for T911 - works fine.
Thanks for the tip OwenGrey!
Trouble is on the laptop, ( not that it matters nowadays) is that com port 1 is allocated to the built in modem, so disabling it in BIOS might not suit all.

Back