usb port prblem

seanicca

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi
i have 8 usb ports on my pc 2 at the front and 6 on the back, the front ones work and 2 on the back but the othe 4 on the back dont, when i plug anything in my pc shuts down if its already on and if i turn it off and plug something in then try and turn it on its dead wont power up at all till i unplug it from the port. i have been using a usb card off a m8 which works but i would like to know if there is anything i can do to get the onboard ones working, dont c why i have to use a card when there is enough onboard already.

any help would b appreciated
sean

Its quite possible the usb ports are faulty,my daughter had 2 on her case and they were damaged by accident when some how the small plastic part inside the usb port had came out and left the port bare,if u look inside a port that works and then the ones that dont,see if there is any difference.
As soon as she put something in the port it shut the computer down.
Even once she blew the power supply and i had to replace it,now i just have something over it so she never uses it.
One other thing u could try if u have not done yet is u could uninstall the drivers for all usb ports in device manager and reboot and let them reinstall.

Nothing else to suggest after this apart from them being faulty.
gio

what ur power supply watts? r u adding too many components at once and also check ur bios setting..if it disable

What is the make and model of the motherboard....

Have they ever worked, the fact the system is rebooting indicates all is not well.
Have you checked the connections on the motherboard, is are the ports hard wired to the motherboard or are they on the faceplate and "plugged onto the motherboard, if it is the later then it may be a bad connection or crossed wires.

In the motherboard munual how many usb porsts does it have active

It definately seems like a power problem to me. What is the wattage of your power supply? Possibly even a failing power supply.

I have a very similar problem and these are my findings.

I have win 98 and xp on dual bootup, in win 98 both my 3 usb2 ports and 2 usb1 ports all work

In xp only the usb2 ports work, the computer locks up if if try to use a usb1 port. If I boot the machine up in xp with a device already plugged in to a usb1 port it works fine UNTIL I unplug it and try and plug it in again and then it hangs up again!!!

I have tried different settings in the bios, reflashing the bios and installing service pack 2. I have also removed the drivers in the device manager and removed the usb2 card, all to no avail. The usb1 ports on the motherboard will just not work in XP.

I would be very interested if some one knows the answer.

Last edited:
Back