USB 3.0 specs released

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
Chipmaker Intel has released further details of the USB 3.0 standard that was announced last year much to the horror of many people within the industry.

Intel has promised that this new standard, USB 3.0, will able to deliver up to ten times the performance, about a 4.8 Gbps transfer rate, as the regular USB 2.0 that everyone has become familiar with, which has a transfer rate of 480 Mbps. The advantages are obvious.

There should not be that much time to wait to see this in action, as there are already licences being issued to the likes of Microsoft, HP, NEC, NXP Semiconductors and Texas Instruments.

Which is why there is little being said about the finer details of USB 3.0.

It can only be assumed that there will be the first signs of the USB 3.0 in operation during the first half of 2009.

By David Allen
http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2008/08/15/usb-30-specs-released/

how long before usb 3.0 hubs are available at a poundland near you....

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Firewire 800 was a flop for XP, I bought a WD external HDD with firewire 800 and the speeds were crippled because of XP... Apprantly on MACS they its fine but XP SP2 jus wasnt upto the job, maybe that has changed with SP3 but I no longer have that external drive to test.

Firewire 800 was a flop for XP, I bought a WD external HDD with firewire 800 and the speeds were crippled because of XP... Apprantly on MACS they its fine but XP SP2 jus wasnt upto the job, maybe that has changed with SP3 but I no longer have that external drive to test.

I'm using it on my Macbook Pro and it works fine. Really good speeds.

USB 2.0 only runs at 480 Mbps whereas the oringinal FireWire 400 was only 400Mbps, however Firewire is better at coping with bigger amounts for longer periods. USB 2.0 is suited to smaller chunks.

So I am guessing Firewire 800 is 800 Mbps. I use the old FW 400 for my external burner and it works fine, no buffer under run even at high speeds.

I do find my external USB HD sometimes takes a while to transfer from my internal onto it though.

Back