Usable PVR Functionality On A Dreambox 500C?

pcawthron

Inactive User
Reaction score
Any suggestions would be appreciated...

As a Tivo user since it launched in I have quite high expectations of a PVR. As a digital cable user I've tried to recreate the Tivo experience in a more 'open' way but I'm struggling. So far I have tried:

(i) Tivo with a Eurovox Max - works well until the Tivo changes its channel lineup and gets out of sync with the EuroVox. I'm not sure I can be bothered with poorly supported Tivo modules to remap channel numbers.

(ii) TechnoTrend DVB-C card in a PC - works for FTA channels but I can't find a plugin that autorolls keys so this becomes unworkable after a few hours. Maybe the SoftCam plugin can read keys off the DreamBox but there must be a better solution? How can a EuroVox or a Dreambox with plugins autoroll but ProgDVB (as an example) plugins don't? Am I missing something here?

(iii) Replay-Lite - probably a better picture than a Eurovox Max, a (subjectively) better EPG, and S-Video output. I gave this to a friend so never tried to integrate with the Tivo.

(iv) Dreambox 500C - I have tried three working UK images but how do I even get close to the Tivo experience? I have no interest in pressing 'record' to invoke NGrab when a programme comes on - I need timer events set through the EPG as a minimum, and season passes ideally. The Tivo did this 2 years before Sky + and almost 7 years ago although my memory is not what it was.

(v) Dreambox 500C plus Jack The Grabber? I cannot get this to work.

(vi) Dreambox 500C plus XMediaGrabber? German language-ish software that sort of works. From the PC I can set a timer on an EPG entry but the Dreambox is only looking about 12 hours ahead with it's default EPG.

(vii) I have DigiGuide subscription but DG2DB does not support the 500C.

Is anyone using a 500C, MV plugin, EPGcenter, and XML output from DigiGuide? This looks like a solution in theory but I don't have it working - or am I complicating things too much?

At present I have the Neutrino Dream Plus Ultra 2.02 image dated 01.01.2007.

Regards,

Peter

Last edited:
Any suggestions would be appreciated...

As a Tivo user since it launched in I have quite high expectations of a PVR. As a digital cable user I've tried to recreate the Tivo experience in a more 'open' way but I'm struggling. So far I have tried:

(i) Tivo with a Eurovox Max - works well until the Tivo changes its channel lineup and gets out of sync with the EuroVox. I'm not sure I can be bothered with poorly supported Tivo modules to remap channel numbers.

(ii) TechnoTrend DVB-C card in a PC - works for FTA channels but I can't find a plugin that autorolls keys so this becomes unworkable after a few hours. Maybe the SoftCam plugin can read keys off the DreamBox but there must be a better solution? How can a EuroVox or a Dreambox with plugins autoroll but ProgDVB (as an example) plugins don't? Am I missing something here?

(iii) Replay-Lite - probably a better picture than a Eurovox Max, a (subjectively) better EPG, and S-Video output. I gave this to a friend so never tried to integrate with the Tivo.

(iv) Dreambox 500C - I have tried three working UK images but how do I even get close to the Tivo experience? I have no interest in pressing 'record' to invoke NGrab when a programme comes on - I need timer events set through the EPG as a minimum, and season passes ideally. The Tivo did this 2 years before Sky + and almost 7 years ago although my memory is not what it was.

(v) Dreambox 500C plus Jack The Grabber? I cannot get this to work.

(vi) Dreambox 500C plus XMediaGrabber? German language-ish software that sort of works. From the PC I can set a timer on an EPG entry but the Dreambox is only looking about 12 hours ahead with it's default EPG.

(vii) I have DigiGuide subscription but DG2DB does not support the 500C.

Is anyone using a 500C, MV plugin, EPGcenter, and XML output from DigiGuide? This looks like a solution in theory but I don't have it working - or am I complicating things too much?

At present I have the Neutrino Dream Plus Ultra 2.02 image dated 01.01.2007.

Regards,

Peter

the dm500 is very able to set timer recordings all done via the remote i use it for direct recordings to a nas. ( when on the epg press "green" button)
im not bothered for using any external software for recording id much rather use enigma and its own dvr function as for the epg well its beeing worked on now sometime in the not too distant future maybe we will get a decent 7day epg

cheers
osborne82

Is there a way of pausing, stopping, rewinding live TV with the 500 using Gemini Project 3.4 image?

Thanks.

Anyone else using XMediagrabber?

I'm still trying to solve the simple requirement of have 1-2 week epg with good GUI & ability to set recording events. Because I use a 500C I either need Neutrino with direct recording or Enigma based images with server recording

I downloaded it & gave it a whirl - seems like a good solution to using the PC as the recording control for a 500C if you don't want fully fledged media centre software such as GB-PVR, etc.

Plus points - it can use 3 different grab engines, XMGgrab,Udrec or VLC - all supporting Transport Stream capture (I didn't know VLC could handle TS files?).

Con Points:The resultant TS files don't play back through VLC or on box but I will try a Neutrino image - currently PLi Helenite

Only issue I have with it is that it gets epg from STB so limited to the cable co's transmission - 1 or 2 days? I don't know if it can use an external epg such as XMLTV's Radio Times grabber for 1 weeks epg.

A while ago I worked together with another user on another forum to enable the xmltv EPG source to be used on a Neutrino Image.

The original Neutrino has the possibility to load external EPG but I am unsure what all the modded "Neutrino" Images can do as unfortunately these guys do not follow CVS Standard and especially for 99,9% time do not feed any of their Development back to the CVS.

Google for FreddyFrog

Back