UPVC drafty

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Any window guys in the house ?, got 1 drafty UPVC windows need advise. The windows are about 3 years old seals are fine it just needs adjusting to pull the hinge side closer in. Not sure how heres some snaps

Attachments

• 20201204_084334.jpg
    20201204_084334.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20201204_084346.jpg
    20201204_084346.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
This might be your problem

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is how to adjust the window on the opening side to make the seal tighter.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can see the black hook on the window in the first picture goes into the black plastic as a guide on the bottom of the frame but I cant see how I adjust either to drag the hinge side to stop the draught. All the seals are fine the window doesn't get opened much

This might be your problem

I've watched a few including them 2. First one similar but he replaces mine are fine the 2nd one if for the handle side which seals ok no draft. It's something to do with the guide hook type bit but I'm not sure what I'm meant to move or adjust20201204_084334.jpg

I don’t think you can adjust the hinges but it’s worth cleaning round the window edge and lubricating the hinges. I’ve read on a DIY forum that the hinges can’t be adjusted and you have to replace them.

Ah right , I'll clean it up but I think it's to do with the frame then when they put in. You would think they would let you adjust that block recess on the frame itself so you could move it inwards allowing for the window to be dragged closer to the frame.

I'm not to fussed tbh its her that's moaning as it were she sits. I keep saying, you won't be moaning in the summer you'll be thanking me that I never sorted it.

I bought from a decent local company so I emailed them for advice. They make their own and install + I've a 10 year warranty. I just thought it would be some simple screw adjustment

are you sure its from the window and not the frame round the window

No definitely the seal area it's slightly away not as tight to frame compared to others. What's them little blocks called on the frame ?. I might pick one up just incase the inside is worn

I just spoke with a m8 he said
"New hinge time , fffing shite them"
so not to be done, I thought if I'll stick something in that slot on the frame to pack it it might do the trick. So I cut an old credit card up into slithers and wedged 2 into the slot. I opened the easy button then moved it back in and pulled hard. It's definitely improved it so time for a new hinge I suppose

I've got a similar if not exactly the same issue with my bathroom window. The gap has widened at the top causing the lock to catch when I close it. Unfortunately I'm in doc tomorrow for a hernia op so all DIY shenanigans are on hold. I'll refer back to this thread when I'm back to full fitness :)

I've looked more into it today faffing around. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with the hinges and replacing them wont make a toss of difference , their like new. I think it's to do with the installation of the window toe heel and one side on a large front window is slightly out, not majorly out.
I've noticed the gasket a "Flipper gasket" doesn't have much compression and spring back and the rubber feels quite stiff so I'm gonna remove and replace that with some a mm thicker. I'm not sure (lets me know if you do know) if I can replace with say a bubble gasket rather than a Flipper gasket as the Flipper one doesn't look very good not unless the windows perfectly aligned.

I've got a similar if not exactly the same issue with my bathroom window. The gap has widened at the top causing the lock to catch when I close it. Unfortunately I'm in doc tomorrow for a hernia op so all DIY shenanigans are on hold. I'll refer back to this thread when I'm back to full fitness :)
Good luck with the op, keep away from the Covid wards ours are full to the brim

Back