Upscaling dvd player

andywhitt2

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a HD Ready t.v but i dont think it 1080p, if i get a upscaling dvd player will i notice any difference.

Thanks Andy

you "should" see a slight difference but it cant make a dvd HD as there just is not that level of detail in the original image. Your tv will be upscaling the image you supply it anyhow as it can only ever display at its native res anyhow, but the dvd player may well be better at it than the tv.

yes you will :)
i got the phillips one out of argos (bottom left, page 1412 in the catalogue £50)

it is fkn amazing compared to a standard player, does divx and has a usb to :)

i'm getting the upscaling freeview box next, every channel in hi def lovliness :Clap:

remember to buy a hdmi cable to btw

oh, and watch a cgi movie like shrek or ant bully if you realy want to see the difference.

Last edited:
won't an old xbox 1 do the job, and can be bought for cheap these days, just get component cables and install XBMC

Personally, I think they're a waste of money.

I've had an upscaling one running next to a standard one. Hardly any difference in my opinion.

Way I see it, the quality is not stored on the DVD and in electronics, you don't get something from nothing. It just uses a HDMI lead instead of a SCART. Any decent quality SCART will be more than adequate and will provide similar results.

I've got a Philips one aswell, its does make some difference but my m8 brought a cheapo one from asda for about £15 and its better picture quility then mine. most only go upto 1080i anyway so mines set to 720p even though tv is 1080p

Last edited by a moderator:
It has HDMI only though for HD no Component.

And to use RWD and FFWD it's not marked on the remote but you can use the left and right arrow buttons.

Similar player, both do 1080p, cheaper at Comet.

Personally, I think they're a waste of money.

I've had an upscaling one running next to a standard one. Hardly any difference in my opinion.

Way I see it, the quality is not stored on the DVD and in electronics, you don't get something from nothing. It just uses a HDMI lead instead of a SCART. Any decent quality SCART will be more than adequate and will provide similar results.

I think it depends on the TV and possibly the player.

I tried my Sony DVP-NS76H upscalling player via SCART and HDMI. It looked better over a free HDMI than a £17 JVC gold plated SCART on my cheap 32" Hyundai (which cost £360ish at the time branded 32" LCDs where about the £600 mark and budget sets of that size where £450). Even analouge terrestrial looked iffy on that set.

Where as my nan's 32" philips and my newer 37" sammy upscale SD just fine. The only reason I changed the Sony to the philips DVP5980 is for the USB and DivX ultra (i.e. DivX@720p) support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back