Upgrading RAM

ronster

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,ive recently installed xp on my old pc which is only 256mb of ram.The pc is saying there is not enough memory and is hardly running at all.Ive looked inside the pc and there is room for another memory stick the one thats already in says, pc133 sdram 32m x 64 256mb DIMM module.
1,do i need another identical module same make or will any 256mb pc133 DIMM do.
2,Is it just a case of slotting it in and the pc will automatically use it or do i have to do something else aswell.
Thanks total novice:Boo:

you should be fine with prety much all sticks of pc133 unless you have a very fussy motherboard, and yes just slot it in m8 , its as simple as that ,,, and if there is a problem with it the pc will not boot with it in.(you dont have to use anther 256 m8 it can be prety kuch any size you want ,,as long as your mobo can handle it .. and if its using pc133 i would say it would most likley be able to handel a gig ov ram across the 2 slots 2x 512 ) so put what size you can get your hands on in there dude you should be fine

Last edited:
you should be fine with prety much all sticks of pc133 unless you have a very fussy motherboard, and yes just slot it in m8 , its as simple as that ,,, and if there is a problem with it the pc will not boot with it in.(you dont have to use anther 256 m8 it can be prety kuch any size you want ,,as long as your mobo can handle it .. and if its using pc133 i would say it would most likley be able to handel a gig ov ram across the 2 slots 2x 512 ) so put what size you can get your hands on in there dude you should be fine
Thanks for that m8,would it be ok to mix them, 256 and 512mb

256 and 512 pc133 will work fine more the better for XP.
Windows 98 and ME only need max 512 of pc 133 .

Have Fun.

Hi all,ive recently installed xp on my old pc which is only 256mb of ram.The pc is saying there is not enough memory and is hardly running at all.Ive looked inside the pc and there is room for another memory stick the one thats already in says, pc133 sdram 32m x 64 256mb DIMM module.
1,do i need another identical module same make or will any 256mb pc133 DIMM do.
2,Is it just a case of slotting it in and the pc will automatically use it or do i have to do something else aswell.
Thanks total novice:Boo:
i have an old P3 500mhz with 128mb of ram running windows xp sp2 and it runs fine

it will still run slow , you need @least 512 megs of ram but a gig will do it mate specially if u dont have a great processor

Min for XP is as siad 512 , DDR would be even better and 1 gig of matched corsair running 1:1 dual channel would be even better.

Have A look, this is what is in this pc.

Back