Updating

Jip

Inactive User
Reaction score
I bought a dbox of a family member, who he got from a friend, its been doing its job nicely, then i saw the launch of the new channel 4 channel, more4. I went to check to see if i had it on my dbox and realised it needs updating(or scanning), so i tried to scan for new channels on the NTL thing on my list, but it just gets stuck. Im thinking of updating my image, im not totally sure which one it is and what version it is, i have the sagem box with the intel chips. It comes with a function which will automatically update itself over the internet, im wondering if thats a good idea or should i do it manually?

Jip said:
I bought a dbox of a family member, who he got from a friend, its been doing its job nicely, then i saw the launch of the new channel 4 channel, more4. I went to check to see if i had it on my dbox and realised it needs updating(or scanning), so i tried to scan for new channels on the NTL thing on my list, but it just gets stuck. Im thinking of updating my image, im not totally sure which one it is and what version it is, i have the sagem box with the intel chips. It comes with a function which will automatically update itself over the internet, im wondering if thats a good idea or should i do it manually?

first thing is first m8

welcome to the forums as first post

2nd thing you will not a channel automatically on the dbox unless you have de's latest image in the downloads section that can pickup channels automatically

3rd you need to do some reading and posting first before you can download as you must have over 20 posts to download from the forum

there is plenty of tuts at the top of the threads for you to learn and master and help others m8

hope that by the time you have 20 or more posts that you will be completely confident that you will have all the equipment and software that you need to flash the box and a bit more understanding

once again welcome and i hope you enjoy it and be an anchor to others

but saying that we are all here to help you in anyway we can if you get stuck on the dbox scene

hope this helps a little

cheers

thanks for the info, ill stick around and see whats happenin

What I'd probably do first is have a look at my tutorial: http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47000

... and then decide the next best course of action.

The best thing to do in my opinion is flash a brand new image to the box, because your scanning feature obviously has a problem somewhere.

You then need to decide on an image to use; and I would recommend de_deej's Sportster Pro 1.02 (rc016) image. Make sure that you use the correct image type for your box tho, as there are two different types, which are determined by how many flash chips you have in the box.

All that is explained in the guide in non-technical form ;)
Liam

thanks, also in the guide it mentions using a null modem cable, is a cable which 56k users would connect to their pc in order to connect to the internet going from the modem socket on the dbox to the pc?

Unfortunately not... its like a serial cable, but both ends have a female connector.

ok, so if i decided to use that image you suggested would it be a good idea to back up my existing image, is so, how would i do this?

im familiar with the ftp side on the dbox

Hi, I cant remember off the top of my head but if you do a search on here for image backup then it has been posted several times before.

Liam

I know this is probably the wrong place to ask, but does the image u recommended to me, have the ability to stream video from my pc to my dbox?

Back