Update your HTC Desire to 2.2

maarksparky

Inactive User
Reaction score
Tried and Tested it on HTC Desire unlocked branded on Virgin

Do not use this method if you have HBOOT version 0.83 or you are on Orange network as it will cause Wifi issues

Update on your own Risk as it will void the warranty

Step 1:

Update the current radio firmware to Generic version 1.21.405.2 by downloading it from HERE

Connect your phone to the PC and select HTC Sync option on the phone. Now run the file (as administrator if you are on Windows 7/Vista) and follow the instructions on screen.

Your phone will go in bootloader mode and once finished will reboot. This will put generic version of HTC desire 2.1 on your phone.

PS. my phone still had the virgin startup screen at this step.

Step 2:

Now you have to create a "Goldcard" (which is simply preparing your mini SDcard to do the flashing)

Its easy, use the tool attached enter the ID and then go to the website as per instructions and an email will be sent to you with the goldcard image.

go back to the Goldcard tool, browse for the gold card image and follow instructions.

You will now have a Gold card"

Step 3:

Now you need to download the 2.2 firmware from HERE

Rename file as update.zip (right click the file and rename as update) ensure you dont rename as update.zip.zip

copy this file to your Goldcard (mini SD card you prepared in Step 2)

Step 4:

Now turn your phone off then do the following:

• Turn your phone on whilst holding down the volume down button to enter the HBoot menu

• Choose the Recovery option by using the volume down button and the power button to select, your phone should then restart in recovery mode where you’ll be greeted with a red triangle and exclamation mark

• Press and hold the volume up button and press the power button once, then choose to apply update.zip at the next menu

• The 2.2 update will now take place during which time your phone will reboot several times, the whole process takes about 10 minutes

Thats you !! you have now updated/debranded your phone to 2.2. No brands Generic HTC white startup screen.

Any questions please ask, if you think this was helpful please add rep

I used this method on my Desire from Virgin at the weekend, was shitting myself but it worked a treat and I now have an Debranded Desire running FROYO

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

cant get passed step 1 says its not the correct rom image and wont update

Mate what network is your phone on? What's the HBOOT version? I think I know why is the case but want to double check before I post the link for 1.15 build...

Dump iPhones... HTC Desires are magic !

Have you tried unrevoked to root/flash?

dont go down the root way AllRoad...

Download this version HERE

Not sure what version you have but if you have not been able to put 1.21 on then most likely when you use 1.15 at Step 1.. you are sorted !!

let me know if you need any help..

cheers

Mate what network is your phone on? What's the HBOOT version? I think I know why is the case but want to double check before I post the link for 1.15 build...

o2 m8 still no updates

Strange mate... my girl friends desire was on O2 but unlocked... used 1.21 which didn't work but the 1.15 did...

Remember she asked O2 shop and they said it cud be months... she needed it as memory on 2.1 was pish and she couldn't install new apps...

when is this update due on o2

I used unrevoked and a guide from modaco, which worked a treat.

I believe if you get rom manager, you can use that to load clockworks as well.

is there anything like this for the wildfire yet???????

Doe's the update wipe all the apps off the phone? Cheers

No, you won't see any difference - all apps, messages, saved for you. Good idea to backup first though.
Have to say haven't seen any difference after the 2.2 update.

I think web browsing is slower and laggier since the 2.2 update I'm really disappointmented. :-(

aint for mine mate,,,,try menu,settings,about phone,system software updates
aye mate i keep checking everyday, read on a few sites its due sometime in september, well thats for virgin, i assume all other carriers will be around the same time, not really much about on the net about what extra's will be in 2.2 for the wildfire, so i dont really know whats gunna change, or any little extra's!

Has anyone else noticed there web browsing being slower like pusher?
Has anyone noticed any significant improvements with 2.2?
My's an o2 branded phone and I wanted to de-brand it and not have to wait while o2 gets there arse into gear. Also there is hidden German navigation software called Telmap on the phone that can't be removed which I find strange.
I have found a leaked o2 update and you don't need to use a goldcard if your phone is o2 branded. I think by using this method your warranty will not be affected. I noticed Allroad seemed keen to update his phone so this might help.
Here at h**p://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

Last edited:
Back