Update Alien 2

abp1873

Inactive User
Reaction score
Been running box for a few days now and I'm not sure if I should update Image via the box or look to download one.

In every respect it's one of the best boxes I've used in terms of picture quality, 7 day EPG etc but I do find it can freeze a bit after a while so was hoping for a bit of help on either.

1 / Update Image via on-line option in the box

2 / Download and install a new and recommended image from here or other sites

Thanks in advance

looks like you are using spark. In my opinion Enigma2 has so much more to offer, but you will have to put up with a juddering on some HD channels.

Have a read of this: Amiko Alien SHD-8900 Beginners Tutorial - Downloads - DigitalWorldz Technology Forum - Satellite, television, consoles, community

this is for the single tuner model but it exactly the same as yours only the image is different.

There is no image uploaded here and I don't have an alien2 here to upload a backup.
if you need one I can pm you a link to one.

Blue Irish: Thanks for all your help and I eventually got what was needed via that link you sent me but you know how sods law works, my wee box has been running like a dream for last 24 hours so I'd hate to change anything just now.

As I said only had it 5 - 6 days now and if it keeps running the way it has been I would list it as best box I've had so far.

Great Picture, Great Piquons, Great Channel List , Easy Install, and my favourite the recall button with the 10 saved channels which compensates for the only real flaw the slow response of the remote.

No problem, Just remember its a hobby and if it doesn't leave you frustrated sometimes your doing something wrong. :)

Update it m8, it won't affect the way you've got it setup.
They've add a couple of things to the "portal" for online viewing that may be of interest to you, haven't noticed much change elsewhere.
Done my alien2 and 8900 with no problems.:)

Tried a few different Enigma 2 firmwares for the Alien 2 - HDMU seems to have a good following but (for me) crashed a fair bit and refused to playback properly files that had recorded fine (I know they were good as they played ok on my PC), PKT image seems better, although not as many plugins.

PKT image seems better, although not as many plugins.

Just because Plugins are not there in the plugin list doesn't mean that they cannot be downloaded and installed from other sources. I'll do a post now to share my image and you'll see all the plugins that I've installed which weren't likely to have been part of the the downloadable plugins via the pkteam site.

Sleepy1958: Do you mean the on-line update of spark via the box or add enigma 2 image ? My box has been running great on spark 28.2 and loathe to change it but would maybe consider updating spar via box and on-line option

If you're happy with Spark and it does what you want it to do, then fine. The box can Dual Boot so can have Spark and Enigma2 simultaneously. So you could install Enigma2 and try it out but still have Spark to fall back on.

Advantages of Enigma is that you can have a 7 day 24 hr EPG. I think the best you can get with Spark is Now and Next. You can stream channels to PC's, Tablets and Phones. You can program the Timer remotely if you forget to setup a program. It has a sort of Series Link.

But, like I said, if you're happy with Spark, then ..........

I am thinking of switching to this backup. I am currently on yodas image. Does this backup allow ts media as a plug-in?

I am thinking of switching to this backup. I am currently on yodas image. Does this backup allow ts media as a plug-in?

Yes, it includes TSMedia. Check the post in the Downloads section for all details of what the Backup image contains.

spark now covers now/next and 7 day epg pretty impressed with it to be honest they have come along way with it to be fair

try all enigma on this box and all fail I just use spark with no probs

Hi guys, I want to update my Amiko Alien SHD8900 and don't know the best way to go about it, any pointers would be appreciated

Back