Up to**** connection ?

charlie senator

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few isp,s offering up to 8 meg downloads/uploads but what i want to know is ,apart from virgin what can anyone reasonably expect to get from a BT phone line .I.E can it be possible to obtain 10/12/meg or does it mean that if you are near to their hub that you could possibly get 8 meg and what is the maximum that you could actually get from a standard BT phone line ?

In theory (I think) all phone lines can handle up to 16 Meg...

But..(and it is a big but.) with phone line connections the further away you are from your exchange the lower your speed will be.

To get an idea of what I mean have a look at Sam Knows you will need to put in both your home phone number and your postcode. This will give you a rough idea of what you will get. Ifyou look at the BT ADSL tab this will tell you the maximum you can expect to get from your line.

If you look at the locality tab this will give you some idea why you can get that speed (remember that the distance is measured in a straight line and the cabling does not run in a straight line so it will be further).

I hope this helps.

With LLU (basically the ISP installing their own equipment in the exchange) ADSL2 running at upto 24 meg though I guess you need to be pretty close to the exchange.

yeh it really is varible. in coventry on adsl 8mb broadband the speeds arnt very good at all, getting about 5.2meg on a good day, only really visible on download speeds on a direct download. and during the evenings it gets mega slow. on average my 2mb vm broadband in london is a LOT faster. and im about 2.5 miles staright line from the nearest exchange

Back