Guides and Info Unused IP Address's, how do I find?

MH

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Want to know what IP address's are on your network??

here is a little command you can run from the command promt.

it will ping all IP's in your subnet to see if there is a reply and save it to a txt file in root.

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -a -n 1 192.168.0.%i | FIND /i "Reply">>c:\ipaddresses.txt

have fun, can be very useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
nice 1 mh thanks

it will ping all IP's in your subnet to see if there is a reply and save it to a txt file in root.

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -a -n 1 192.168.0.%i | FIND /i "Reply">>c:\ipaddresses.txt

very usefull cmd m8 but every time i run it it creates a file on c drive but the file is empty and has 0bytes ?

ive now tryed this cmd on 5 computers and the same happenens on all 5 computers.

any ideas m8 ?
ime running xp-sp2

or could i alter the cmd to just show me the ips in the cmd window itself ?
ive tryed altering the cmd but had no success.

Last edited:
Another useful utility that I have found is called AngryIP Scanner...Its windows based with a nice front end too.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Angry IP scanner is a very fast IP scanner and port scanner. It can scan IP addresses in any range as well as any their ports. Its binary file size is very small compared to other IP or port scanners. Angry IP scanner simply pings each IP address to check if it's alive, then optionally it is resolving its hostname, determines the MAC address, scans ports, etc. The amount of gathered data about each host can be extended with the available plugins.

It also has additional features, like NetBIOS information (computer name, workgroup name, and currently logged in Windows user), favorite IP address ranges, customizable openers, etc.

Scanning results can be saved to CSV, TXT, HTML, XML or IP-Port list file, can be used as a command-line utility in a batch file, etc. With help of plugins, Angry IP Scanner can gather any information about scanned IPs. Anybody who can write code is able to write plugins and extend functionality of Angry IP Scanner.

In order to increase scanning speed, it uses multithreaded approach: a separate threads is created for each scanned IP address.

It is free and open-source software, so use it at your own risk.

I use WMI Asset loger which is an excellent program to scan your network.

Also you could use a program called nmap will also tell you what ports are open

Should be just a case of removing the "| FIND..." off the end - then the
standard output from the first command will show on your screen rather
than being piped into the FIND utility

very usefull cmd m8 but every time i run it it creates a file on c drive but the file is empty and has 0bytes ?

ive now tryed this cmd on 5 computers and the same happenens on all 5 computers.

any ideas m8 ?
ime running xp-sp2

or could i alter the cmd to just show me the ips in the cmd window itself ?
ive tryed altering the cmd but had no success.

Worth bearing in mind that most firewalls will block pings, if you have access to a switch on your network then take a look at the arp cache.

Also beware! do this at work and any decent IT bod will come knocking on your door when his Intrusion Detection system tells him what you're up to! To mitigate this use nmap and make it portscan / ping sweep slowly ;-)

Minor refinement:

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -a -n 1 -w 10 192.168.0.%i >>c:\ipaddresses.txt

the "-w 10" gives better response times (sets the timeout in milliseconds) for non existent hosts, and in XP SP2 (and others) the "| FIND - i ...." filter won't work because the output from PING doesn't print "Reply"

Minor refinement:

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -a -n 1 -w 10 192.168.0.%i >>c:\ipaddresses.txt

the "-w 10" gives better response times (sets the timeout in milliseconds) for non existent hosts, and in XP SP2 (and others) the "| FIND - i ...." filter won't work because the output from PING doesn't print "Reply"

I seem to be necro posting, but this command works well as long as you remember to change the 192.168.0 to the IP range on your router, in my case 192.168.1 or 10.1.1 etc.

You could just use arp -a on command and it will show you all devices connected, and responding. You can also use free tools from solarwinds.

unused IP addresses? as in unassigned? you could look in your router address assignment table

Nice command! Although it may fall into some "glitches" when other devices are set not to accept ping.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Back