unstable pc

xXx

Inactive User
Reaction score
i'm running a dell lattitude lappy on win 98. Recently the system has bcome unstable. I keep getting explorer error and then have to shut down explorer, also occasionaly getting internet script error.

What would you suggest i should do?

Also is there any good utility program that u would suggest that monitor the system to ensure everything is running to spec and if not can automatically sort out problems?

Cheers

this is probably not the answer you are looking for, but you probably need to fresh install, how long has that OS been running for?

Kam, you could try Norton system mechanic, worth a try I suppose... As for Internet Explorer, try doing a re-install/repair see if that fixes your prob's, or you could swap to Opera or Firefox (which I think are better myself).
Have to say in the past, I used to do fresh install of win9x every 12months or so...

Have fun :)

Kam71 said:
i'm running a dell lattitude lappy on win 98. Recently the system has bcome unstable. I keep getting explorer error and then have to shut down explorer, also occasionaly getting internet script error.

What would you suggest i should do?

Also is there any good utility program that u would suggest that monitor the system to ensure everything is running to spec and if not can automatically sort out problems?

Cheers

I would suggest a re-install Dell is a good website for drivers even win98.
Or
you could install Win98 over the top of the existing OS I hope I'm correct in saying that it should save your existing configuration. I have done this many time's but a few years ago. it should ask to save your existing config in Win98 SE

:)

hi kam71 as others have said reload is your best bet.
when working in IT dept as contractor for a company in warwick a few years ago they had dell lappys running win98 any we got with exporer problems it was quicker to reload than piddle about.
what i would suggest b4 u reload is get your service tag number off pc and put into dell web site (as flapjack said) u can download all drivers for your machine put this on cd b4 u start.

if you add and remove alot of software you could try a program called registry mechanic to clean the registry also i use norton system works to fix windows problems also you could clean system restore internet files cookies and of course defragment

i would try running memtest x86+. ive found a lot of unstable systems have droped a memory module. google mentest and you should find it. extract to a floppy and reboot. its free and is on sourceforge.

Back