Unlimited 4G

I moved from GiffGaff to Smarty recently. Had trouble with one very basic phone as it didn't support the Three network that Smarty uses, and other then a bit of a dip in signal for the same reason, they've been pretty good.

That £18.75 is an offer on the usual £25 tariff. If you sign up during the offer its a 25% discount for life - bit different I suppose.

GiffGaff (O2) have just doubled the data on their £10 and up Goodybags but still think Smarty is better value on the very basic tariffs if you don't use the phone that much

If Three in the UK is anything like Three in Ireland then even if they say there is a data cap there may not be.

In Ireland on pay as you go there is a 15GB cap on three. They either can not enforce this or don't monitor it as it is well known in the midband community in Ireland that there is no consequence of going over it. I regularly download over 1TB of data a month on a Three SIM card and in 4 years have never been penalised.

I use Vodafone in a 4g mini router and it works flawless t. I just leave it connected to charge supply via usb. @Ferret

I would say to anyone make sure you have a good signal on 3 before going ahead. I use a dual sim oneplus 6t phone and have both vodafone and 3 live at the same time. If you go off the beaten track with 3 i often find you can lose signal, but on the other hand if you go into a crowed place such as the football ground and I drop it to 3g only you can often keep using you internet when others cannot get out. Travelling oversea with 3 works great too.

I use Vodafone in a 4g mini router and it works flawless t. I just leave it connected to charge supply via usb. @Ferret

Im thinking about the daughter here mate she has a static caravan she visits 2-3 weekends a month during season.

She has a 4G router with some old 10gb ( I know :eek:) limit at £20 a month.
Talk Talk Home BB at £25 38-52 mb depending on time of the test.

Their light users no downloads just social media and a 3pm football every week. She could cancel both get something like this to cover caravan and home bb and save alot of cash. I carnt see how she looses out given most the time she only gets 38mb.

Reliability though was a worry. Seems you have no issues though.

Im thinking about the daughter here mate she has a static caravan she visits 2-3 weekends a month during season.

She has a 4G router with some old 10gb ( I know :eek:) limit at £20 a month.
Talk Talk Home BB at £25 38-52 mb depending on time of the test.

Their light users no downloads just social media and a 3pm football every week. She could cancel both get something like this to cover caravan and home bb and save alot of cash. I carnt see how she looses out given most the time she only gets 38mb.

Reliability though was a worry. Seems you have no issues though.

Reliability with mobile broadband is something that can change on daily basis. I used mobile broadband for my home for over 4 years and its great but there are some downsides.

1. first one is the speed is not consistent. In the mornings I have got up to 100Mb download but there are peak times like after 7pm where that can go down to <5mb dl. Just to warn you I have a 4g mast that allows me to achieve speeds that would not normally be possible with just the 4G router. a few years ago my speed during peak times was a lot better but since now all phones are 4g this has hit my speed.
  2. another issue is many of the routers that are for mobile broadband are not exactly built for heavy use. If there are more than 10+ people connected to the wifi then you will have problems with it crashing and losing connections. I noticed this rarely occurs within a day or so of a reboot so have the router reboot everyday to reduce the possibility of this occurring. This occurs on numerous Huawei routers and a TP-link one i have tired.
  3. Depending on your mobile provider and if they use double NATing you may not be able to access your network externally. there are ways around this but they are complex.

my setup uses an e5186 router and 4G aerial and I am less than 1Km from the mobile mast. I woudn't recommend mobile unless you have no other reasonable options.

That’s exactly what I use it for @Ferret. I got a Vodafone sim only deal for 24 a month with 90 cash back 1 year contract 100gb allowance. Bought a cheap mifi router from eBay for £20 works great. I have throttled back Netflix to sd Don’t want any 4K 😂

This will work with any SIM card you put into it unless it does not support the band's of the SIM card.

If you bring this abroad with your local SIM it will work if your local SIM works.

Back