unlawful bank charges, lloyds tsb

astra99

Inactive User
Reaction score
need help please, back in january lloyds made a mistake or someone paying money in to the bank did, £830 was paid into my account, me thinking it was wages spent it, then my boss had told me he was unable to pay me my wage cos the money had been returned to my account, when i checked my account i could see it was paid in at a branch, realising this was a bank mistake i went to a branch, they told me that i had to go to the branch where the money had been paid in as there was anm urgent not on my account, however i work away through the week as im moving 300 miles away so im unable to go to this branch, i contacted them, the branch manager said he would take the block off my account so i could get my wages paid in, and as long as i set up a payment plan then i wouldnt get any bank charges, so 1 week later when i finally managed to get my wage paid into the account, i tried to contact the branch manager, but was unable to get through, the phone just kept ringing out, so rang another number for lloyds and managed to set up a payment plan, then realised afterwards that i had been charged, so after hundreds of phone calls to the branch but not been able to get through i just kept ringing the customer services, they said i needed to get in touch with the bank manager and that he needs to deal with it, so today i finally got through to the bank manager, he said because its now gone to collections that i need to contact them, so i phoned them up, they then tell me that the charges were lawful and that if it was due to a mistake by the branch that i would need to go into that branch and get the manager to contact them while im there, i told them im 300 miles away from that bank so cant you contact the branch, they tell me they are not allowed to do that,
im just going round in circles with them, its really doing my head in, i was charged because of someone elses mistake and no one seems to want to deal with it! any help or advice will be much appreciated, it feels like im talking to a computer when i ring them

FAQs - making a complaint

Have a read on how to make sure your complaint is taken seriously. Also note that the bank have upto 8 weeks to sort out a problem.

Individual banks also usually have processes in place so that once a complaint is initiated they cannot take 'recovery' action until the complaint is dealt with.

Write them a letter, both head office and the branch. Tell them to sort it out or you will get in contact with the FSA. They don't like regulators getting involved.

need help please, back in january lloyds made a mistake or someone paying money in to the bank did, £830 was paid into my account, me thinking it was wages spent it, then my boss had told me he was unable to pay me my wage cos the money had been returned to my account, when i checked my account i could see it was paid in at a branch, realising this was a bank mistake i went to a branch, they told me that i had to go to the branch where the money had been paid in as there was anm urgent not on my account, however i work away through the week as im moving 300 miles away so im unable to go to this branch, i contacted them, the branch manager said he would take the block off my account so i could get my wages paid in, and as long as i set up a payment plan then i wouldnt get any bank charges, so 1 week later when i finally managed to get my wage paid into the account, i tried to contact the branch manager, but was unable to get through, the phone just kept ringing out, so rang another number for lloyds and managed to set up a payment plan, then realised afterwards that i had been charged, so after hundreds of phone calls to the branch but not been able to get through i just kept ringing the customer services, they said i needed to get in touch with the bank manager and that he needs to deal with it, so today i finally got through to the bank manager, he said because its now gone to collections that i need to contact them, so i phoned them up, they then tell me that the charges were lawful and that if it was due to a mistake by the branch that i would need to go into that branch and get the manager to contact them while im there, i told them im 300 miles away from that bank so cant you contact the branch, they tell me they are not allowed to do that,
im just going round in circles with them, its really doing my head in, i was charged because of someone elses mistake and no one seems to want to deal with it! any help or advice will be much appreciated, it feels like im talking to a computer when i ring them

I had a bad month once with lloydstsb, this worked for me and will only ever happen once on your account.

Ring up phone banking as early as possible, speak really nicely to the person on the phone, they have discretion in given you £100 of any bank charges.

From what they told me when they did it for me, is they can only do it once a day - hence ring early, and really butter them up

They have the power to do it, so its up too you to talk them into it

failing that citizens advise is the best option, cause solicitors cost a small fortune

cheers guys, ive since had a phone call from complaints, they happily gave me back £80 also cancelled another charge wich was due to come out of my account of £70, but i now need to get the branch manager who messed up my account in the first place to contact complaints to confirm that it was his error (if i can ever get hold of the t**t!) then they will refund the rest

Barclays did a similar thing to me, they charged me £30 about 5 times over a week period for a direct debit to vermin media, it wasnt vermins fault they were just trying to get there money every other day, thing is each time the tried Barclays charged me £30.

Im the end I end up paying the £150 back to barclays, but I never forgot about it, I opened up a second bank account with someone else then a month later I applied for a £10.000 loan of barclays guess what happened, I got the loan and went on holiday to Turkey for a month lol there £150 cost them £10,000 in the end.

I declared my self bankrupt a year later when the county court letter came never heard from them since been 6 year now so they cant even chase it up and Im still doing ok with my other bank my credit rating is starting to go back up now.

Back