Network Provider Unblocking

telsave

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi M8's Don't know if anyone can advise please. My step son decided to mix his mobile with shower gell coming back from the states, at least he got it clean through customs.

His SIM is on T-mobile and I have given him one of my old hansets which is on O2 it is asking for a PUK number to unblock it can anyone help with this as I am not too sure what to do here.

cheers

PUK is usually when the sim is blocked because of putting the wrong pin in a few times, 02 website should be of help.
You could always try to unlock the phone so it will accept the T-Mobile sim, what model handset is it as a free solution to unlock may be available.

The sim is on T-mobile by reading the post so maybe contact T-Mobile for the PUK. Or does he perhaps have the little card the sim originally came with as the PUK will be wrote on that.

Is the phone broken or do you think it is broken because of the PUK ?

SIM locked

Hi Thanks for replies - can I try to explain again

I have been using this phone obtained about 3 years ago on a 12 month contract from O2 with an O2 SIM inside.

Chris damaged his phone which was on the T-mobile network.

I have given him my O2 phone and want to run it through his T-mobile SIM card.

When we switched it on with the T-mobile SIM it reported PIN blocked to unblock enter your PUK code.

I rang O2 but they want £20 to release a PUK code (although I get the idea that the person I speaking too did not fully understand what I was trying to do as she kept trying to flog me an upgrade instead as it would be cheaper than a PUK code).

Is there anyway I can unblock the PIN so that the T-mobile SIM will work without having to spend £20, although my son Dutch has said that he will pay it for me if absolutely necessary out of his hidden stash of cash. :banana:

cheers and again thanks for contributions so far.

Its t-Mobile you want to contact not O2 as its a T-mobile SIM whcich is locked.

Or go to T-mobile site HERE

Hi Tocano

Thanks for link.

However (isn't there always a however!!!) I went onto their site registered under My T-Mobile and they kindly sent a text mesage to the phone I was trying to unblock !!!!!!!!!

As I cannot get into the phone I cannot get the text message to unblock the SIM I will try to ring them though

cheers

Catch 22 eh......a phone call should solve the problem though..

Good luck

Hi Tocan

Thanks again for your help I phoned T-mobile and asked for a PUK# the young lady obliged and as opposed to O2 who wanted £20 t-mobile charge the grand amount of £0

So thanks again for your help and saving me £20 all works well now.

cheers

O2 were probably talking about unlocking the phone... Rather than the PUK code

PUK Code - On the Sim card has nothing to do with the phone itself, this is requested if the sim card has a pin code and someone enters it incorrectly, it will then ask for the PUK code. The PUK code can be obtained for free from the network the sim belongs to... Entering the PUK code wrong too many times will block the sim completely and you will then have to get a new sim card. The easiest method to get the PUK code is usually to ring the network customer services number from another phone, however some have an online option like O2 where you just enter your phone number and it gives you, your PUK.

Unlocking - Unlocking is usually removing a phones sim lock, a sim lock is placed on a phone by the network to stop you using a sim card from another network. The network subsidises the cost of a handset, so you are not really paying the full price of the phone, they expect you to stay with their network. As an example a sim free Nokia phone could be £150, this would mean it would have no network branding and would work with any sim card you like, the same phone could be anything from £90-150 on pay as you/contract etc, however it will be branded by the network and usually locked so you can only use their sim cards. Unlocking removes the locks on the phone, so even though it is a network phone you can still use the phone with other networks. You can unlock most phones, at phone shops or the network will provide the unlock code for you. This is probably what O2 were going to provide for £20. However O2 dont always lock their phones in the first place, so if the T-Mobile sim is now working then the phone wasnt locked :) if its now asking for a Restriction Code, or is displaying some other similar message, then it does have to be unlocked :)

Unblocking - Unblocking is illegal, this is usually changing the IMEI (Serial Number) of a handset that has been previously reported lost or stolen. If you lost it and it legally belongs to you, then you can contact the network and they should turn it back on.

Last edited:
Hi C9679

Many thanks for taking the time out to give such a detailed reply which will be helpful not just to me but others also.

I have sorted the problem by calling T-mobile they gave me a PUK code (FOC) which unlocked the phone so he has a smile on his face again as he can talk to his beloved for hours on end.

Again thank you for your help

cheers

Back