UK Theme Park rip off.

raff

Inactive User
Reaction score
Holiday Which? magazine recently sent researchers to six of the country's most-visited parks: Alton Towers, Legoland, Thorpe Park, Drayton Manor, Chessington World of Adventures and Flamingo Land. They criticised not only the pricing of the parks, but also the length of the queues and the limited amount of healthy food available (see last year's report by The Soil Association).

The researchers highlighted the fact that a family ticket for two adults and two young children visiting Alton Towers costs £89, which was the most expensive of the six parks visited.

Although Legoland charges more per adult ticket than the other parks, it was criticised less than the others due to its "beautiful setting" and "good selection [of attractions]". It was also commended for the entertainment it provides for young children in the queue lines.

Lorna Cowan, editor of Holiday Which? said: "The whole family will have a great day out at a theme park, but if you've got teenagers, a family of four could end up spending almost £130 - and that's just to get in.

"Very long queues were the biggest downfall of our visits, and we felt there were some missed opportunities when it came to keeping everyone occupied during the dull wait for popular rides."

To make sure families got the best deal, she recommended that they book their tickets in advance.

In response to the report, a spokesperson from Alton Towers said they were "disappointed" with some comments, but contested that the park's continued popularity showed visitors were still satisfied.

They said: "Despite their high prices, Alton Towers is still the most popular theme park in the UK, with 42 per cent of the adult population having visited and a 90 per cent return rate."

They also cited the fact that many visitors pay less than full price by buying online or using special offers such as BOGOFs.

Meanwhile, the Daily Telegraph had some more bad news for the parks when they revealed that the country's top attractions were charging visitors more than almost any other country in the world.

Oh and by the way at Alton Towers the cheeky Barstewards charge you £4.00 to get back out ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGG never again.

when i was working for the police I got alton towers tickets off them for £10 each, think is was through the Staffordshire constabulary.

when i was working for the police I got alton towers tickets off them for £10 each, think is was through the Staffordshire constabulary.

maybe they felt sorry for all the retards in the police force m8, {no doubt most of them will bunk in anyway}

A lot of the public sectors get discount.

NHS staff qualify for 'corporate discount rates' - £21.00 for a 1 day ticket, normal adult price is £35.00.

I beleive the armed forces get discount too.

But Tesco clubcard members can get in for £7.50 by booking in advance and paying with clubcard vouchers.

You've got to know when to pick your day to go. I've found that outside of the school holidays, mid week and/or during major sporting events is the best time to go, e.g. I went on the day of the world cup semis the other year, it was dead! Apart from Rita, which was artificial due to breaking down mid morning and not being fixed until gone 2pm, the longest queue was 20mins for Air. Nemisis you could virtually walk straight on...

I agree on the pain of having to pay to park. For the location of AT, public transport to too restrictive. The bus from Stoke doesn't get there until gone 10.30 and last bus home is 5-ish (rides close at dusk/6pm which ever is ealiest, park closes 30mins later).

Last time I went to Alton Towers it was a complete waste of money, I spent hours waiting in queues for everything, the only stuff that had very little queuing was the kids stuff, atleast they had fun.

I was lucky if I made it onto 2 rides.

Only time I've been to Alton Towers was in March last year. It was fun, but don't think I'd spend that sort of money again to go in. Especially at peak times when I'm going to spend most of the time in there queueing. Not worth it.

Never been to alton towers but i have been to drayton manor twice in the last few months.

TBH i thought it was great value for money.
it cost me £68 for 2 adults and 3 kids bearing in mind that when i was at fantasy island ingoldmills i spent that amount in under an hour.

their wasn't any lengthy queues either.
i think the longest we waited was around 10 minutes because the kids wanted to go on thomas the tank engine.

as for alton towers......they wouldnt get £4 off me to let me out.
i would stay until they threw me out :proud:

The £4 applies if you've travelled there by car.

Its a token you have to get so you can actually get off the car park with your car.

Never knew that before. Been years since I last went and we used to go on the coach.

The £4 applies if you've travelled there by car.

Its a token you have to get so you can actually get off the car park with your car.

Never knew that before. Been years since I last went and we used to go on the coach.

so its a four quid parking payment then

maybe they felt sorry for all the retards in the police force m8, {no doubt most of them will bunk in anyway}

contracting for the police is sweet, just flash your id badge and you get half off at dominos and subway.

Alton Towers will never see me again, I was there 2 years ago, they did not tell you about the parking until you are in the one way system.

It is the most expensive park I am aware of and still have the cheek to charge you for other attractions that the kids want on (climbing wall and the trampoline things) I think it £5 each.

Legoland I found to be far better value, shorter queues and things you can do without putting your hand ion your pocket, again.

Two reasons I think Alton Towers is popular. Location, most of the country can get there in a few hours. A blast from the past, when I took the kids I was telling them how good I remember the shows. All gone, and replaced with big rides and even bigger queues.

Coming from Scotland most of the parks are in the South, 2 days travel for 1 day at a park.

Any parks worth going to further North?

I went to Alton towers Agust 11 wife paid £35 to get in the Daughter was free with a token from tesco's and I said I was disabled and paid £17.50 we went on 17 rides all in all not a bad day

I went to Alton towers Agust 11 wife paid £35 to get in the Daughter was free with a token from tesco's and I said I was disabled and paid £17.50 we went on 17 rides all in all not a bad day

why did u get a discount ? sounds like you where fit anoth to go on all the rides

Any parks worth going to further North?

The big two up here are:

M&D's in Motherwell.

Loudon Castle in Galston, East Ayrshire.

I don't rate either of them that highly to be honest.

Legoland is a good day out if the weather's nice.

I'm not really a big fan of amusement parks, as they are designed solely to seperate you from your cash in the shortest possible time.

Thrill rides are a thing of the past for me now, I've retired myself after being on three of the most extreme rides in the world (I still get a rush even thinking about one of them) :)

The big two up here are:

M&D's in Motherwell.

Loudon Castle in Galston, East Ayrshire.

I don't rate either of them that highly to be honest.

Legoland is a good day out if the weather's nice.

I'm not really a big fan of amusement parks, as they are designed solely to seperate you from your cash in the shortest possible time.

Thrill rides are a thing of the past for me now, I've retired myself after being on three of the most extreme rides in the world (I still get a rush even thinking about one of them) :)

interested? which rides, best ride i've been on apart from a couple of girlfriends, was white water down the Zambezi many years ago.

interested? which rides, best ride i've been on apart from a couple of girlfriends, was white water down the Zambezi many years ago.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-g3mbgx-bg&feature=related"]Insanity[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__eHpVkmxWQ&feature=related"]X-Scream[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5MjKxJGkRI&feature=related"]Big-Shot[/ame]

All three of them are at the top of the Stratosphere tower in Las Vegas.
The videos don't do them justice.

The scariest was the Big-Shot, the feeling of being shot into the air on top of the highest building in Vegas, and experiencing Zero-G at the top was incredible.

I'm going back again in Oct (all being well) :)

i would love, but cannot afford to go on the 'vomit comet'

Same here, I've priced it before, but it's just out of my range.

I'm not sure if the do it over here, but they fly out of McCarron in Vegas.

Total experience 3 - 4 hours
Flight time - 90 to 100 minutes
15 Parabolic arcs with 30 seconds reduced gravity or weighlessness.
=
£2800

GoZeroG

Back