UFC 117 - Silva V Sonnen

harry127

Member ++
Reaction score
Too much trash talking from Sonnen for my liking, hope the spider knocks him well out.

Stayed up for it, quality card again from UFC.

Can anderson leave it any later next time ??? I don't know if he was ill or something but he definately seem to have lost a spring in his step. Sonnen owned him for 4 1/2 rounds.

Finch / Alves went as I expect. Alves is really suffering from the weight cuts. As for Finch, he never looked close to finishing Alves, not quite a borefest but close. On that performance, I can't see Finch beating GSP (again).

My fav fight was JDS vs Big country. Man, Big country took some massive shots in that fight. Loved Rogan's comment about Big country wearing 20 sweaters, hah. Good news is I think JDS has more then a good chance against either brock or cain.

what channel was this on and do u know if or when its being repeated??

cheers.

It was live on ESPN, I believe there is a reply in the next couple of days else you can download in the usual places.

Stayed up for it, quality card again from UFC.

Can anderson leave it any later next time ??? I don't know if he was ill or something but he definately seem to have lost a spring in his step. Sonnen owned him for 4 1/2 rounds.

Finch / Alves went as I expect. Alves is really suffering from the weight cuts. As for Finch, he never looked close to finishing Alves, not quite a borefest but close. On that performance, I can't see Finch beating GSP (again).

My fav fight was JDS vs Big country. Man, Big country took some massive shots in that fight. Loved Rogan's comment about Big country wearing 20 sweaters, hah. Good news is I think JDS has more then a good chance against either brock or cain.

Wow!! He mentioned a rib injury suffered two weeks ag but he was really taking a helluva beating up to that point, he will really have to up his game if and when there is a rematch.
Thought Hughes submission was pretty good and unexpected. Big Country really has some heart although i suspect that JDS could have finished him if he had applied more pressure earlier on. Excellent combo of punches from the big Dutch guy when it looked like he was close to being stopped cos of his lip injury.
All in all i thought it was one of the best UFCs in recent times.

I liked 116 better but this was pretty close. After the run of bad ones they had in the beginning of the year there are some really good cards coming up, aside from the UK one.

Struve (the 6' 10" dutch guy) is his early 20's and has something like 20 fights to his name already. If he actually bulked up he could be a real danger.

just noticed its replayed on espn 10.00 tonight.

cheers.

Wow!! He mentioned a rib injury suffered two weeks ag but he was really taking a helluva beating up to that point, he will really have to up his game if and when there is a rematch.

Its only the 2nd time that Silva has fought a world class wrestler, and I guess that showed as sonnen took him down and controlled him on the floor, although I do suspect that the rib injury played a big part in silva not being able to fight back or get up.

Sonnen may have owned him for 4 rounds, but its still silva as the champ, clearly sonnen needs to work on his defence as that triangle was massive for silva, he saw his opportunity and took it. If there is a rematch, I think silva will smash him easily, as although sonnen can take him down, I dont think he hurt silva. And when silva is fully fit, I dont see sonnen being able to handle him at all.

As for fitch, he has no chance against GSP. GSP is way too dominant in his weight division, and I cannot see anyone beating him in his weight class, possibly silva, but I am not sure that silva will drop down to that weight class to fight him, and GSP wont fight at a catch weight.

Difficult to say about silva and the injury, we don't know how bad it was or what it was. But I was surprised he didn't try and get up. Personally I would like to see the Belfort fight next before a rematch.

Fitch will struggle against GSP, I don't see a different fighter compared to their first encounter where as I see an improved GSP.

I guess we now get to look forward to the freak show at UFC118 plus the small matter of seeing if BJ really wants that belt back.

enjoyed the silva v sonnen fight althoe sonnen was winning the fight his face was starting to look a mess where as silvas face looked preety good i do think sonnen was unlucky but silva is a true champion and prooved that by getting the submission so late in the fight joe said never count him out till the end and that just prooved it, it was a good nights entertainment as always.

Back