Types of Modems - N*L and Infomation

srooth

Inactive User
Reaction score
Please could anybody help on the above subject? I have been involved over the last 2 years with the DBOX environment. the past couple of weeks I have taken some time out to look into Cable Modems and I have some questions that I need answering, they are as follows.

I brought a cable modem from a car boot - silver and flat looking with N*L on the front, could somebody tell me what type this is.

Secondly - What do I have to do / info on this site to get another modem working in the house (already have broadband) and what are the benefits of having a second modem on (Bandwidth???)

And thirdly - is their any idiot guides people recommend for the above - How to Does / or Dummies Guides?? On modem hacking.:mexican:

ello m8 sounds like you got an Ambit 100,120 or 200 to me.

Wotever u do don't connect it to a cable feed unless you've done the anti-update firmware mod first , hopefully yours won't have beed done if it has then it's next to useless m8.

You'll need a 232/233 interface around a tenner from tailor made , a prog called DHCP force and you need to scan for a mac from a few miles away from where u live i.e. friend/families house.

This info is very general if u want anything specific m8 ask and we'll help u out

Cheers

i have aready connected this to a live feed - is this a problem?

yep chances are it has downloaded the new firmware.....
easiest way to check is to connect the modem to your pc via ethernet (no cable feed) in an explorer window type 192.168.100.1 you will b prompted for username and password both are 'root'.
If the page u c next has an NTL logo on it then u got the new firmware and a new doorstop , there are ways round it but u need 2 do a bit of reading m8

Cheers

I have found out that its a Omit 120 i have found some info / Documentation on a omit 200 "CHANGING THE MAC ADDRESS OF THE AMBIT 200" do i use this as a step by step or is there any other links on how to??????

I have tryed to get onto the modem and i have noticed 2 proplems.

1. IT SEEMS TO LOOSE CONNECTION RANDOM.
2. I CAN COMUNICATE WITH THE MODEM - 192.168.100.1 BUT THE USERNAME AND PASSWORD DOES NOT WORK.

PASSWORD - root
USERNAME - root

srooth said:
I have tryed to get onto the modem and i have noticed 2 proplems.
1. IT SEEMS TO LOOSE CONNECTION RANDOM.
2. I CAN COMUNICATE WITH THE MODEM - 192.168.100.1 BUT THE USERNAME AND PASSWORD DOES NOT WORK.
PASSWORD - root
USERNAME - root

where did you get the modem? maybe some1 has changed the password??

TBH Honets the password will usually revert back to factdef after a few reboots, I kow of at least 2 modems that have done this with their passwords.

is there any tutorials on this site on step by step Ambit 120's as i get so far and then back to the drawing board.

Also any links on the buying or making a max 233/232 cable.

Back