Two Scumbags nicked my Car

One of those fancy mints tins should do it for the keys, methinks. Do they still sell them? 🤔

5 G looking for protection also:eek: i was gonna post a radiation suit for protection but cant get phone out to take a picture and fob is in other pocket;):)

Reactions: gez
@avid, can you test that by putting a fob in and getting it close to your car?

With radio stuff the inverse square thing comes into play when talking about power and distance :).

With radio stuff the inverse square thing comes into play when talking about power and distance :).
He has tried that m8 but he could only pick up radio Marks and Spencers on it.Apparently there is a sale on tomorrow. 🤔😉

From what I understand, the keyfob send out a constant signal so as you walk near car the car unlocks. Then using this bad design, the thieves use something to relay the signal from your keyfob to something they've got near the car that obviously fools car into thinking the actual keyfob is near.

This, imho, is bad design and I believe manufacturers should be blamed. The government, even banning the devices, isn't going to stop thieves from acquiring them through unconventional means.

I'm a little lucky with my car, the door doesn't unlock unless I manually push the button on remote. I believe the next model after mine had the feature of keyless entry without even having to push button on remote.

My pulsar has a button on the door you touch to unlock aswell as usual button on fob method, when engine is running and you move 6 ft from car it shuts down , just wondering how other cars operate.

From what I understand, the keyfob send out a constant signal so as you walk near car the car unlocks. Then using this bad design, the thieves use something to relay the signal from your keyfob to something they've got near the car that obviously fools car into thinking the actual keyfob is near.

This, imho, is bad design and I believe manufacturers should be blamed. The government, even banning the devices, isn't going to stop thieves from acquiring them through unconventional means.

I'm a little lucky with my car, the door doesn't unlock unless I manually push the button on remote. I believe the next model after mine had the feature of keyless entry without even having to push button on remote.

If it is the sort of transponder I'm thinking of then it's the car that continually polls for a keyfob. The car tries to communicate with a fob every second or so, that's how the transponder in the keyfob gets energy to reply. Note I'm talking about real transponders not transmitters.

A type of transponder chip might look like this although these wedge type ones are old technology. The long side contains an antenna a bit like one in a long wave radio. A lot of wire wrapped round a ferrite rod.

The type of battery powered fob where you press a button is different, it transmits to something waiting for a command.

Marks and Spencers you posh git omg do you live in a nice area m8?. Aldi biscuit tin is good.😉

Definitely not old bean😉

I have given my driver the day off but I will get him to try it on the Bentley first thing Monday morning😉

If it is the sort of transponder I'm thinking of then it's the car that continually polls for a keyfob. The car tries to communicate with a fob every second or so, that's how the transponder in the keyfob gets energy to reply. Note I'm talking about real transponders not transmitters.

A type of transponder chip might look like this although these wedge type ones are old technology. The long side contains an antenna a bit like one in a long wave radio. A lot of wire wrapped round a ferrite rod.

View attachment 124918

The type of battery powered fob where you press a button is different, it transmits to something waiting for a command.
I was told by an auto locksmith that for those that have this issue, some have devised a way to turn on/off their keyfob by retrofitting something to their keyfob. It sounded like a "kill switch" type thing fitted to keyfob.

I still maintain that car manufacturers could do more as it was their insecure "convenience" idea of keyless entry/start that made it even easier to take a car than old standard ways.

We should be able to get car manufacturers to do more under GDPR or something like that. Maybe like report them under GDPR as they didn't do enough imho and are in effect, by ill design, helping the criminals

I was told by an auto locksmith that for those that have this issue, some have devised a way to turn on/off their keyfob by retrofitting something to their keyfob. It sounded like a "kill switch" type thing fitted to keyfob.

I still maintain that car manufacturers could do more as it was their insecure "convenience" idea of keyless entry/start that made it even easier to take a car than old standard ways.

We should be able to get car manufacturers to do more under GDPR or something like that

Are they battery powered?

I thought a lot of the new proximity type weren't.

Not sure tbh.

A few years back (twenty) most transponders like that wedge type above were very close range. The transponder was in the plastic moulding of the key usually, unless it was a commercial vehicle, and the antenna was wrapped round the lock inside the steering column.

There were transponders that would work within about 1m but they were about the size of an old 50p and expensive (no need for their own power).

I've never been interested in modern vehicles and I don't know what the new keyfobs are like. I'd guess that the proximity based ones are the ones being targeted and they possibly don't have a battery, they are purely transponders.

Another simple remedy the makers could implement would be a simple motion detector in the fob. No movement = no signal. Seemples.

Back