twilight switch

turner brown

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a twilight switch fittied on my shed/mancave the last few days the lights haven't been coming on
the system used is bascilly a relay and lux sensor
WZN-01 - Surface Mounted Twilight Switch 230V//16A/IP20
i dont know if its the sensor or the relay if i disconnect the sensor the lights work and can be used off the switch
whats the best way to test the sensor

hey, I would think a simple continuity test hold the wires on the sensor wires and put it in to light and dark, i would think it would short it and un short it.

Can you tell if it's an LDR (light dependent resistor) or a phot diode sensor? If the latter it may well have failed, I'm forever replacing them in the dusk-dawn solar lights.
LDR looks like this V : photo diode is like a clear LED.

LDR-10-mm-Photo-Resistor.jpg

looks like the LDR from the pics of the part
would have to get ladders up to check tomorrow as fitted in the plastics around the roof
sensor.jpg

Can you tell if it's an LDR (light dependent resistor) or a phot diode sensor? If the latter it may well have failed, I'm forever replacing them in the dusk-dawn solar lights.
LDR looks like this V : photo diode is like a clear LED.

View attachment 128321
It looks like an LDR Trev. Simple check with continuity

think the sensor if nackered no reading on the test . can i just chop into the wire and add new sensor as can get to about 12 inches of the cable.

think the sensor if nackered no reading on the test . can i just chop into the wire and add new sensor as can get to about 12 inches of the cable.
That wouldn't work for a couple of reasons.
You can't just decide to locate the LDR in a place that's convenient either. The light needs to fall on the face of the LDR

i understand the sensor need to see the light but the cable cant be got at from inside due to plasterboard
so if i chop at old sensor i should be able to join in there ok was my thinking

this is where it is fitted and what cable that i have access to

IMG_20200413_173627.jpg
IMG_20200413_173638.jpg

IMG_20200413_173652.jpg

no mate its molded on exact part used
SOH-01 Probe light - Works with: WZM-01 -WZM-02 -WZN-01 - 1m | eBay

when i fitted it i ran the cable thro panels that the sheds made of and joined there to run to relay behind internal light switch
so i can get to the relay no problem but the hole is sealed with silicon both sides so only place to join in is the little cable i can see
or its a relocation somewhere but means another hole inthe panel somehere

Back