Tw or Ntl can they find out cloned modems

yameenmalik

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can tw or Ntl find out this question might have been asked millions of times before so lets say I clone a modem can cc find out were the cable modem is because they can trace a cable box if the talkback is not cut. We have to have talkback for the modems so they can work anyhelp or advice thankyou

Unless they have an engineer in say sector 02 of the area, inside the box on the street, disconnecting each feed one by one, while someones in a call centre saying . . "nope its still on, nope its still on, ohh its gone..thats the one"

This may sound viable but when you consider how many boxes are in each street, how many streets are in any ubr area and of course how many ubrs are in any given exchange . . . you realise that not only do they not have the manpower to do this, but not enough patience.

DjSyXx said:
Unless they have an engineer in say sector 02 of the area, inside the box on the street, disconnecting each feed one by one, while someones in a call centre saying . . "nope its still on, nope its still on, ohh its gone..thats the one"

This may sound viable but when you consider how many boxes are in each street, how many streets are in any ubr area and of course how many ubrs are in any given exchange . . . you realise that not only do they not have the manpower to do this, but not enough patience.

any one no how i can geta a modem thats been cloned thanks

i have a cloned sb4100, on 10meg, can they trace this or will it be a while before they catch me?

DjSyXx said:

Thats true to a large extent but recently they have started fitting remote diagnostics equipment inside the boxes which, in part, is designed to allow them to remotely connect/disconnect customers. Its only a matter of time before this kind of kit is retro-fitted to all boxes at which point clone modems will likely become dangerous things to use.

Couple this with the changes they intend to make to their infrastructure so that a MAC address will only work in the area for which it is intended and the days of the clone modem look numbered :(

Its so fkin simple to stop all clones

All they need is a database of every custiomers network id, then coupled with the mac ID you get a unique customer so if they check whether the mac has the correct area or not they can stop all clones in a stroke.

I am amazed that they have not put routines into place, I am sure that if it were my "job" I could stop all clones everywhere whithin a week or so (However long it takes to write the code).

They have always been able to 'see' the clones. Current ways around them tracing you now are to spoof your NIC around once a month and to change your modems MAC address every week.

So long as your not on the same MAC's for too long you'll be fine. Most people who do get caught these days are the silly greedy ones. For example, they'll buy a Surfboard put a 1MB MAC on it and a 10MB config file then hammer the living daylight out of the connection downloading countless 1000's of MB's each month.

Now you see there's only so much data a 1MB MAC could download in a month. So when that modem is downloading up to 10X what it is supposed to be able to do then the account is flagged on N*L's systems and N*L delve deeper into things and try to trace the modem.

I think the only worry about hacking modems is uncapiing a modem on your own registered mac adress, then i think you will get bust..

i have a friend who lives over in the USA, and has a hacked comcast connection, he got caught only because they found he had an illegal coax cable in his house.. if you own digital tv, or a legit internet your allowed a live coax cable in your house.
What im Saying is if you have something legal in your home that uses a coax cable feed, im sure your chances of geting caught are even smaller..

Well that may be for the USA but over here if you call up and cancel they don't disconnect your feed so you will have a live cable feed through no fault of your own....

The question that I've been wondering is are they really that bothered about the problem at the moment. I mean if they were that bothered like snake gamer said I'm am sure that it wouldn't be that hard for them to pay someone to program some code that could routinely check the macs on each gateway to make sure they they are running on the correct gateway and then disconnect the clones accordinly. Also I'm sure that I've read somewhere that ntl's networks can handle far more banwidth than what is being used at the moment. So I'm thinking that if this is true then at the moment cloned modems are just using ntl's spare banwidth which woudn't be used normally anyway.

Saying that though I suppose the real harm to ntl is the loss of potential costomers that maybe would have subscibed if they hadn't of got hold of a cloned modem but then I suppose it all comes down to one simple equasion in the end, are the clone users costing ntl more than it would cost them to rectify the problem. If the answer is yes then I suppose that they would have taken action to rectify the problem by now and if the answer is no then this brings me to my first question, are they really that bothered at the moment about the problem?

I doubt they are not bothering about cloned modems, its more a case of they are so inept at everything, that they cant get to grips with it.

If everyone was to have at least a minimum subscription to the CC then at least they have a fighting chance of surviving, broadband in the UK is the only thing that is keeping NTL afloat so its important they dont get completely ripped off or they will be the next OnDigital - if your going to have a cloned modem and all the telly channels, for goodness sake at least do a basic sub.

i been useing my mac for a year np....just use the old rules,,if you have had a paid ntl modem on your computer,,then you got to use smac or get a new net work card thats it ....

MONKey said:
They have always been able to 'see' the clones. Current ways around them tracing you now are to spoof your NIC around once a month and to change your modems MAC address every week.

So long as your not on the same MAC's for too long you'll be fine. Most people who do get caught these days are the silly greedy ones. For example, they'll buy a Surfboard put a 1MB MAC on it and a 10MB config file then hammer the living daylight out of the connection downloading countless 1000's of MB's each month.

Now you see there's only so much data a 1MB MAC could download in a month. So when that modem is downloading up to 10X what it is supposed to be able to do then the account is flagged on N*L's systems and N*L delve deeper into things and try to trace the modem.

i total agree which is why i use a bandwidth monitor so i dont go over the limit i think its a good idea look here http://www.bandwidthmonitorpro.com

666 said:
i been useing my mac for a year np....just use the old rules,,if you have had a paid ntl modem on your computer,,then you got to use smac or get a new net work card thats it ....

why spoof the NIC Mac if you have a paid modem?is their a tutorial or something that explains this? or is it only for N*L? im on TW so i dont know if i need to worry about it.

Because if you have had a paid modem then the cable company's have your NIC's MAC address from when you registered so if you put a clone on that NIC car then they know who you are and where you live from there records.

As FAGAN say's, you should at the VERY LEAST have a minimum subscription to them. Not only will this ensure that your line does not get cut off. But it will ensure that EVERYONE doesn't get cut off when they go bust through every Jack & Jill ripping them off.

You should remember one thing when HACKING the cable network, a hackers motive is to 'live off it's source' not kill it off.

totally agree with the post above,, in my book at least pay something,,i pay for a 2 meg line,,but i run 2 other modems,smac or changing your net work card just adds to extra security

Back