Tv Mainboard Fault

willin

DW Regular
Reaction score
I can’t believe this has happened again, it seems the mainboard on my TV has a fault/broke.

This is the second time in 9 years this has happened. TV not switching on intermittently.

The current TV is a LG 49UB 850V, nearly 5 years old, it’s one of the early 4K TVs, fortunately I have a warranty with richer sounds (only 3 months left), same fault as before but this one just will not switch on, after consulting google it seems like the mainboard is goosed.

My question is, are the mainboards for this TV still available? I would have thought I will NOT be that lucky to get this set replaced,

The repairer is not calling until Monday so plenty of time to look for a new one (I hope).

TIA

Not intermittent this time so fault will be easier to find. He may have a replacement board but is just as likely he will have a "repair kit" for that specific fault. I can't envisage him having any component sourcing problems in sorting your tv.

Thought so, cheers @chookey ;-( over probably the past year it has been switching itself off then on very intermittently mainly when switching channels, oh well you never know.

I would hope so, I'm assuming you mean the mainboard, just had a look at the guarantee no mention of part replacement just screens, It's going to be great with no TV over the weekend 😞

I would hope so, I'm assuming you mean the mainboard, just had a look at the guarantee no mention of part replacement just screens, It's going to be great with no TV over the weekend 😞

I meant the whole TV. It has failed under warranty.

Or do you need that version TV for IPTV or something?

hmm this reminds me of a LG we have, 6 weeks after we bought it the screen went bad, took them a week to get out to look at it, decided the screen was bad lol, then took 4 weeks to get a replacement screen from Holland and get it fitted, now you would think if the screen was knackered then would replace the whole unit but no, very frustrating at the time. we still have the same TV never had a problem since must be 10 years old.

just thought i would share that with ya.

hmm this reminds me of a LG we have, 6 weeks after we bought it the screen went bad, took them a week to get out to look at it, decided the screen was bad lol, then took 4 weeks to get a replacement screen from Holland and get it fitted, now you would think if the screen was knackered then would replace the whole unit but no, very frustrating at the time. we still have the same TV never had a problem since must be 10 years old.

just thought i would share that with ya.

Apart from that being disgusting service, I thing there was some newish consumer law where products deemed unreliable due to how they had to be repaired had to be replaced. Something like that.

Yes mate they will replace the TV if it's beyond economical repair - or so says the warranty, I'll just quietly mention to the TV engineer that fact.

The last time I got a replacement TV, they gave me the price off that replacement of the most expensive tv from the same manufacturer of the same size but only because I'd paid way more than that price for the faulty TV (hope that makes sense) - which I thought was pretty fair.

Yes mate they will replace the TV if it's beyond economical repair - or so says the warranty, I'll just quietly mention to the TV engineer that fact.

The last time I got a replacement TV, they gave me the price off that replacement of the most expensive tv from the same manufacturer of the same size but only because I'd paid way more than that price for the faulty TV (hope that makes sense) - which I thought was pretty fair.

Ah, so they might make you pay something towards a replacement. Seems a bit dodgy that...

My tv also has the 6yr guarantee from Richer Sounds, according to their site..."Give you a like-for-like replacement if we can’t repair it."
This is good and gives peace of mind but my tv was over £800 when I bought it and a similar spec would be far cheaper now, but I guess we can't have it all, lol.

Think I misread that but understood when I read @chookey post :).

It's probably the way I have explained it, sorry. You get a replacement of similar spec etc at no cost, bearing in mind how the tech sizes and prices will have advanced/changed. They will allow you to get something with a better spec/size and pay the difference.

I paid £900 for this TV, the most expensive 49" LG at the moment is £649 IF I was lucky enough to get a replacement I would get £649 towards a tv or that TV free, IF they still do that. Which I think is pretty fair.

Always rated LG for reliability. I have 2 in the house one of which was bought when LCD 720P sets hit the market the thing wont die. Was a main tv for 3 years then it kept getting demoted, moved to my boys bedroom and just about was used 18hrs a day for gaming then into my daughters bedroom and now in the spare bedroom.

It will need a burial when it does eventually give up the ghost it so attached to us. 🤣 🤣

After a couple of weeks of them ordering parts, out of stock, ordering alternative part, out of stock, re ordering, finally according to LG they can’t get the part until February! me – “well that’s not good enough for over xmas”.

Mr willin you can have a credit to your account to replace your tv. they did as I suggested, gave me the price of their most expensive LG 49” ATM which is £599 LG 49SM8600PLA this amount can be used for anything at all, upgrade, sound system etc.

After the first week I have hounded them almost every day, no fun with no TV (if you know what I mean). I finally settled on that tv in the link, I would have liked the B955OLED but we have recently bought a solid oak stand for tv/ hi fi which was expensive, a 55” tv would have been too big for it then I would have had to pay £500 to the credit which was way too much.

Non in stock in the Newcastle branch, getting one for Monday which ill pick up after work,

Happy days, I’m sure I’ll love 4k HDR etc.

I kept away from Lg and Samsung as not built to last and purchased a Sony 4K oled 55" with 4 hdmi and twin tuners.Paid 100 euro more as seen cheaper elsewhere.Went back into store and had on phone a picture cheaper on competitors site.I got a 200 euro voucher and bought a ninja foodi multicooker:eek:😆😆😆 oh happy days.

I think it's luck-of-the-draw with a lot of things. A lot of these manufacturers are buying parts from the same companies, can't remember who was telling me on here but a lot of the boards are the same in TVs. Power supplies certainly are all from a couple of companies in China.

I have a small Goodmans (27") LCD TV and that has been abused (left on etc) for 17 years, or so. IEC socket cracked off the board but I sorted that.

My monitors at home, and work, were Samsung and they lasted years, still using mine but backlight went dim on one at work and other one had an intermitternt fault and wouldn't power on. Still using my Samsungs at home on secondary PC, LG on main PC now and HP at work.

Yes chatted with a mate lg board made for sony and panasonic and maybe others,engine is from sony and can do so much more with their apps.

Back