trying to make a bootable cd

hixy

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all , i have downloaded 2 versions of a stripped out xp op system for a old pc but have gone through a load of cds but i cant get anything to boot on old or new machine , ihave imgburn power iso and nero8 ,can any one give me step by step instructions on how to make a bootable disc?
cheers hixy

I've taken the following from ComputerHope. Might help ya just reading it from here, but here it goes.

Creating a Windows XP boot disk

Note: The Microsoft Windows XP CD is a bootable CD and in many cases you should not need a bootable floppy diskette. Booting from the Windows XP CD will allow you to not only install/re-install Windows XP but will also allow you to troubleshoot it.

Create MS-DOS bootable diskette

When formatting a floppy diskette, users have the option of creating a MS-DOS startup disk, follow the below steps to do this.

1. Place diskette in the computer.
2. Open My Computer, right-click the A: drive and click Format.
3. In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
4. Click Start

Create Windows XP Setup diskettes

Microsoft is beginning to phase out bootable floppy diskettes in favor of bootable CD discs and has not included a method of easily creating a bootable floppy diskette in Windows XP or from the CD. However, Microsoft has downloads available for users who still need to create bootable diskettes to install (not upgrade) Windows XP. These downloads can be found through KB310994.

Additional help and information about troubleshooting bootable CDs not booting is found on document CH000217.

How to use a boot diskette

Once the bootable diskette has been successfully created, following the below steps you will be able to boot from the diskette.

1. Place the diskette into write-protect mode (in case a virus is on the computer, this will not allow the virus to transfer itself onto the diskette).
2. Insert the diskette into the computer and reset or turn on the computer to begin the boot process.
3. As the computer is booting, answer the questions prompted (if any).
4. Once at the A:\> take the appropriate actions depending upon the situation of the computer.
5. If you are unfamiliar with MS-DOS we recommend you see our MS-DOS page.

hi all , i have downloaded 2 versions of a stripped out xp op system for a old pc but have gone through a load of cds but i cant get anything to boot on old or new machine , ihave imgburn power iso and nero8 ,can any one give me step by step instructions on how to make a bootable disc?
cheers hixy

Instead of trying the things in my other post, have a go here. Its got step-by-step instructions mate, must be some use...

Alternatively you could download Nlite. This will allow you to customise your XP disc that you will make. Pretty easy, just rip your image using nlite and customise it to suit. You can do all sorts of things like automatically put in the serial, set region, add services packs or other drivers etc etc.

Back