Torrents vs Newsgroups

shabbaranks

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Alrighty...

Always used torrents and never really thought about news groups until today - not too sure why. Is it generally the case you pay for newsgroups? Ive found a client for free (grabit) and joined one perticular forum for searching but it would seem to get everything you have to pay.

Dont really want to pay for something which I can get for free - any ideas?

Thanks!

Alrighty...

Always used torrents and never really thought about news groups until today - not too sure why. Is it generally the case you pay for newsgroups? Ive found a client for free (grabit) and joined one perticular forum for searching but it would seem to get everything you have to pay.

Dont really want to pay for something which I can get for free - any ideas?

Thanks!

Although you can get most of it free its always the best idea to pay for access to the actual newsgroup hosting services.

I use Hitnews.eu but there are many available.

I stuck with torrents for years until I was persuaded to try newsies and I haven't looked back.

I downloaded a blueray rip the other day of 8.5gb and I had it within 26 minutes, that would have taken me a week on torrents.

Some ISPs have there own news servers...

I search using binsearch.info. And use VCDQ.com and IMDB.com to keep an eye on movie and TV releases (respectively).

More so with TV shows, you will occasionally find that files are passworded and when you extract there is a requirement to complete a data harvesting survey. Several password database sites have sprung up to counterance the need to complete the need to do the survey. I use: Passwords « Jimbeeer - Thrap-tacular passwords a go go.

I guess it depends on how much you d/l as to whether it is worth your while or not. I have a 50 gb monthly download limit with my isp, so i don't think it would be worth my while to use newsgroups, i am quite happy using demonoid.

The way I look at it is that you are not only paying for the newsgroups you are paying for constant maxing out of your bandwidth, security (you can encrypt everything by using SSL connections and not even you ISP can tell what you are downloading), also no uploading or sharing (should you get caught uploading is classed as distribution and carried a heavier fine than just downloading), no need to connect to loads of other people or seeders to get your stuff, just 1 connection to 1 server. Almost everything has PAR files so broken downloads can be fixed if needed. I'm not sure what the retention is like on torrents but on most newsgroups these days it's almost 2 years.

With the right setup downloading from the newsgroups can be every bit as easy as torrents.

there are many free NZB sites, so no need to pay, some you just have to register with.

And at $11 (around £7) per month it not that bad for what you can save by downloading the stuff.

I've gone with astraweb and bought their 180gb download plan for $25. I just like the speed that I get as already mentioned and more so the fact that my isp doesnt know what i download.

The way I look at it is that you are not only paying for the newsgroups you are paying for constant maxing out of your bandwidth, security (you can encrypt everything by using SSL connections and not even you ISP can tell what you are downloading), also no uploading or sharing (should you get caught uploading is classed as distribution and carried a heavier fine than just downloading), no need to connect to loads of other people or seeders to get your stuff, just 1 connection to 1 server. Almost everything has PAR files so broken downloads can be fixed if needed. I'm not sure what the retention is like on torrents but on most newsgroups these days it's almost 2 years.

With the right setup downloading from the newsgroups can be every bit as easy as torrents.

there are many free NZB sites, so no need to pay, some you just have to register with.

And at $11 (around £7) per month it not that bad for what you can save by downloading the stuff.

If I was any good with words I would have wrote what Captin wrote, I totally agree with him. The whole package counts not just the speed...which is fekkin awesome anyway.

To reply to what Captain said... The torrent sites I use are registered sites and the speeds are top notch so on a speed comparison I wouldnt get any faster using newsgroups than torrents.

I dont upload torrents as like you say its the resharing you get busted for not the actual downloading, and I use Peerguardian also. On the bandwidth front - every isp and thier dog have fair useage policy's so theres no getting around that. If they think you've transferred an unreasonable amount they'll packet shape or reduce your connection. Ive never had a problem with a particular site I use so the broken files thing doesnt really apply.

SO from my point of view there's no "real" benifit to going to a paid newsgroups service as far as I can see. I do like the 1 to 1 share factor, but if your paying for a service - if that service gets busted then your records along with everyone elses are available if the busters wish to do anything.. If you get what I mean.

The pure nature of torrents is a 2 way thing, you are uploading at the same time as you are downloading thats how torrents work, as far as I can remember.

Most of the court cases you hear about are people using torrents or p2p. It's very rare that you find anyone getting done for downloading from newsgroups.

Peerguardian is fine, but you cant hide your IP from your ISP, and now they are legally bound to provide this when asked to do so. (if they comply and some say they wont).

How can you veryfy any of the IP addresses that you are connected to, they could be anything from a hacker to law enforcement.

It's easy to see what you are downloading from torrents as everything is a binary file.

The newsgroups are totally different, for a start there are no binary files on any newsgroup server anywhere. Sounds daft I know cos you can download films and music and stuff.

To upload something to a newsgroup you take your binary file the run the upload program, this will turn it into text, called UUencoding, it's split into 100's of messages that are stored on the newsgroup server, when you download using any program except outlook express, the program automatically joins and UUdecodes the messages which end up as binary files on your pc. This is just a basic encoding, but would still need some effort and time for enforcement to findout whats being downloaded, they cant just go off filenames to make a case.

Add into the mix SSL encryption which encrypts data on the newsserver before sending it to you and your program un-encrypts it once downloaded. It makes the newsgroups one of the safest ways to download. And you are never connected anything but a server. Some of which are purposly situated in countries with no copyrite laws, like Isreal, so they never get raided.

NZB site are different, they dont really have anything to do with newsgroups in the same way the Pirate bay works. NZB's were invented because it's easier than trolling through 1000's of headers to find what you want. But there is far much more stuff available to download than NZB's are created for it. The newsgroups (usenet) pre-date the web (not the net) by around 10 years, and NZB's have only become popular in the last 8 or 9 years.

If you want even safer then you can use IRC, but thats a different story, and where the big boys hang out (the rippers, crackers, hackers, packers, and distribution groups). Effnet is the place to be, apparently.

As for download limits, Virgin have never complained about me downloading 600-800 gig per month for the last 6 years or so. I schedule my downloads for overnight so I never get bothered by their traffic shaping.

At the end of the day it's what ever works for you. Newsgroups help my sense of paranoia, I could'nt do torrents or p2p. :)

Last edited:
To reply to what Captain said... The torrent sites I use are registered sites and the speeds are top notch so on a speed comparison I wouldnt get any faster using newsgroups than torrents.

This may be true on slower connections and with popular files but when you are talking about a 50gb connection and less popular files then newsgroups win hands down.

I dont upload torrents as like you say its the resharing you get busted for not the actual downloading, and I use Peerguardian also.

Does that not make you a leecher then? Surely the whole idea of P2P is sharing ?

SO from my point of view there's no "real" benifit to going to a paid newsgroups service as far as I can see. I do like the 1 to 1 share factor,

There is no 'sharing' with newsgroups, its download only.

i mostly use virgins own newsgroup !
if u are recieving virgin Broadband , then its completeley free .
Only downside is 5 days retention .
Which is no problem for newer stuff .
i use astraweb for older stuff.
there is a lot of nzb sites out there that do not charge either .
so dont think its expensive , because u can do it all for free .

Only downside is 5 days retention .
Which is no problem for newer stuff .

You can use something like sabnzbd which accepts NZB RSS feed to automatically download based on filters. So for example you can download TV shows automatically as they are posted. Don't need to worry about retention time then.

You can use something like sabnzbd which accepts NZB RSS feed to automatically download based on filters. So for example you can download TV shows automatically as they are posted. Don't need to worry about retention time then.

How does that work then? It sounds good.

What about if, say, you wanted to download True Blood everyweek. What happens if there are 4 different NZB's for the same show, just different version, like say the CTU MKV, Immerse MKV, Dimention MKV, WEB 5.1 MKV?

If it is specific, say you set it to only download the CTU release and they miss a week would it them get the immerse release or another one.

The way I do it now is, download NZB from wherever, Newsleecher watches my download folder for NZB's, it then downloads, verifies and repairs (if needed), then unpacks to another folder, which is watched by PS3mediaserver and then I can watch it on my TV.

The only manual thing I need to do is download the NZB

Last edited:
Ok, so if i decide i want to start using newsgroups instead of torrents, what do i need to do? As i said i have a small download limit per month, so would want a free site.

Is there some kind of a tutorial on here for beginners, or can you talk me through it please captin? :)

How does that work then? It sounds good.

What about if, say, you wanted to download True Blood everyweek. What happens if there are 4 different NZB's for the same show, just different version, like say the CTU MKV, Immerse MKV, Dimention MKV, WEB 5.1 MKV?

If it is specific, say you set it to only download the CTU release and they miss a week would it them get the immerse release or another one.

The way I do it now is, download NZB from wherever, Newsleecher watches my download folder for NZB's, it then downloads, verifies and repairs (if needed), then unpacks to another folder, which is watched by PS3mediaserver and then I can watch it on my TV.

The only manual thing I need to do is download the NZB

Apparent from name you can also filter on catagory. So you can filter on xvid or 720p or something. Full instructions and compatible sites here,

RSS - SABnzbd

NZBMatrix has more information on their forum as well.

As for download, I think as you say, most of the readers now can monitor a folder, par as they go along so only download enough pars to fix any broken posts and unpack automatically. That leaves the media ready to use at the end of the process.

Ok, so if i decide i want to start using newsgroups instead of torrents, what do i need to do? As i said i have a small download limit per month, so would want a free site.

Is there some kind of a tutorial on here for beginners, or can you talk me through it please captin? :)

Sorry, but most of the free sites are part of ISP's. If you post your ISP name I am sure somebody can lookup if they offer a usenet server.

Else somewhere like giganews offer a 10gb/14 day trial. Though they will need CC to stop people abusing the trial.

Hopefully should be posting instructions tomorrow or day after.

Back