Top Gear rapped for alcohol use

jaffa

Inactive User
Reaction score
Motoring show Top Gear has been criticised by the BBC Trust after viewers complained about "highly irresponsible" footage.
The Polar Special featured hosts Jeremy Clarkson and James May drinking while driving as they tried to reach the Magnetic North Pole last year.
The trust said the scene "could be seen to glamorise the misuse of alcohol".
The show's executive producer said they were beyond the jurisdiction of drink driving laws in international waters.
'Editorial purpose'
The trust was also told that neither presenter was shown "drunk or out of control of the vehicle".
The BBC Trust said the scene "was not editorially justified in the context of a family show pre-watershed".
However, it added that at present in the UK, "it is legal to drink a small amount of alcohol and still drive".
In the same show complaints were also made about scenes showing frostbitten genitalia. The trust said there was "a clear editorial purpose for the inclusion of an image of a frostbitten penis, which had been shown for "a medical rather than a sexual purpose".

Source

Stone me!!! Don't these prats have anything else to moan about?

Pmsl fookin hilarious. What women is gonna get hot looking at a frost bitten willy. Of course it wasnt sexualy explicit.
Fookin nanny state we live in. Oh and a rip off one as well.
Not sure about the drink driving tho they might have a wee point there.

Pmsl fookin hilarious. What women is gonna get hot looking at a frost bitten willy. Of course it wasnt sexualy explicit.
Fookin nanny state we live in. Oh and a rip off one as well.
Not sure about the drink driving tho they might have a wee point there.
Thankfully, the BBC Trust agreed with you.

Thankfully, the BBC Trust agreed with you.

And why thankfully ?... they were doing nothing wrong were they ?

I never heard of any complaints when they drove at 120MPH in Germany ?... because it was legal.

Downing a bottle of vodka and driving where they were is not illegal.

Oh look there is Jeremy Clarkson jumping off a bridge, hold on Jeremy wait for me !!!

Do you reckon hammond was pissed when he crashed that land cruiser and give hime self a mooheekan :proud:

pity they would not consontrate on the cars instead of gimmicks

That's why the show is so popular, because it's not all about 0-60 in x.x seconds, and how much cubic capacity in the glove box of a new Mondeo...

It's a proper laugh, and they do some great things. Top work if you can get it. Even my Missus enjoys it and doesn't make me turn it off when she's in the room...!

Probably, it would not surprise me if it were the same people who complain all the time about TV content.

I often wonder about that too lol, I reckon it is the same people. They probs have the ofcom complaints number on speed dial.

Back