Top eight cancer signs pinpointed

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
The eight unexplained symptoms most closely linked to cancer have been highlighted by researchers.

The Keele University team also points to the age at which patients should be most concerned by the symptoms, which include blood in urine and anaemia.

The other symptoms are: rectal blood, coughing up blood, breast lump or mass, difficulty swallowing, post-menopausal bleeding and abnormal prostate tests.

Cancer Research UK said unusual changes in a person's health should be checked.

"There are more than 200 different types of cancer, which cause many different symptoms”
Cancer Research UK spokesman

The researchers were looking for symptoms which gave a one in 20 or higher chance of turning out to be cancer.

Although this still represents a relatively low chance of anyone with the symptom having the disease, any suspicion of cancer can mean that the patient is sent for tests more quickly, in order to catch the disease as early as possible.

The figure for each symptom was calculated by combining the results of 25 previous studies.

They found that, if the patient was below the age of 55, there were only two signs which reached the 'one-in-20' threshold.

These were a rectal prostate examination which gave abnormal results, and a breast lump.

After 55, but only in men, there was evidence that difficulty swallowing could be a sign of oesophageal cancer, while blood in the urine was highlighted as a particular concern for men and women aged over 60.

Dr Mark Shapley, who led the research, said: "GPs should audit their management and reflect upon these cases as part of their appraisal to improve quality of care.

Eight signs of cancer

* Anaemia
* Blood in urine
* Coughing up blood
* Difficulty swallowing
* Breast lump or mass
* Post-menopausal bleeding
* Abnormal prostate test
* Rectal blood

"There should be more open public debate on the level of risk that triggers a recommendation for referral by a GP."

Professor Amanda Howe, honorary secretary of the Royal College of General Practitioners, said: "It's useful to see these well-known 'red flag' symptoms and signs validated in primary care research, and reinforces the importance of encouraging patients to discuss worrying symptoms early with their GP."

However, a spokesman for Cancer Research UK said that these were by no means the only potential warning signs for cancer.

"The particular symptoms this study has highlighted are already thought of as important potential signs of cancer, but there are more than 200 different types of cancer, which cause many different symptoms.

"So if you notice an unusual or persistent change in your body it's important to get it checked out. When cancer is diagnosed at an early stage, treatment is often more likely to be successful."

BBC News - Top eight cancer signs pinpointed

dont forget obesity, over weight, excessive drinking & smoking and genes

i think the last is most important imo

Yes, but i didn't want to post my own opinion in the same post as the news article :)

Genetics are very important, as is smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, poor diet, exposure to chemicals or radiation, the list goes on and on .... :(

Its mostly the luck of the drawer. I mean you hear of people over a 100 that have smoked all there life and there fit as fiddle.
Defo just your genes and maybe other things in life have a slight impact.

There is a cracking science series on the Beeb the now called 'Visions of the Future'

BBC iPlayer - Visions of the Future: The Quantum Revolution

on episode 3 they go on about it could be possible to insert a nano technology device into the body to act as a hunter killer for things like cancer cells before they get a grip in the body. Absolutley brilliant you got to watch the whole series.

Theoretical physicist and futurist Michio Kaku shows how quantum physics is giving mankind the almost godlike power to manipulate the fundamental building blocks of matter. Science fiction ideas like the space elevator, teleportation, invisibility cloaks, or nanosized molecular machines might soon become a reality. But will we use our unprecedented scientific mastery wisely? (R)

Last edited:
Its mostly the luck of the drawer. I mean you hear of people over a 100 that have smoked all there life and there fit as fiddle.
Defo just your genes and maybe other things in life have a slight impact.

Dont think it is m8
Many people get cancer whos parents or grandparents havent so its not just a genetic disorder. There are many carcenegens around that have a big impact ie smoking asbestos and many chemicals.
If it was purely genetic it would have long since been cured.

Could do with sticking lumpy testicles on that list too :)

If it was purely genetic it would have long since been cured.

tell that to the women who have their tits removed before even getting breast cancer cos all the women in their family have died from it

a good selection of cancers is genetic whilst others is down to lifestyle and environmental issues

A lot of diseases have a genetic predisposition, but might need a trigger to set them off, so for example if your mother, aunts, grandmother etc all had breast cancer you are more genetically predisposed to get the disease, but if you smoke, drink alcohol to excess and lead a generally unhealthy lifestyle your risk factors would be multiplied.

Last edited:
i understand but it is like heart attacks

if your male you already have a high risk of heart disease

same goes for obesity, diet and lifestyle

we all gotta die of something, i just think we are pre consumed with the idea of dying early from cancer

luck of the draw with cancer but you can reduce your odds with a healthy lifestyle, doing exercise, not drinking or smoking and hoping non of your parents die from cancer lol

luck of the draw with cancer

no it isnt luck

i found out i had cancer and my symtoms where a chest infection that wouldnt go away
then i got a paralised vocal chord which i have to say thanks to

if i didnt have that i wouldnt have known

but surviving cancer again is down to early diagnosis and also to say that the bastard isnt going to beat me

i am having the same treatment that micheal douglas is going to have

it is what they call radial treatment

it is relativley new over her in the uk

i have to go through 4 days of chemotherapy and and at the same time 5 days of radiotherapy
then a break for the weekend then back for a futher 5 days of radiotherapy then a weekend break
the 5 more days of radiotherapy then another weekend break
then 4 days of chemo and at the same time 5 days of radiotherapy

then they will give me a few weeks break
then i will go through 2 more treatments of chemo which hopefully will mop up the roaming cancer cells

but as i said i am positive that i will beat this and that is the best way to go

so as said before it isnt luck m8 far from it

also can i ask people to look at my signiture and make a pledge to raymond yule

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/241160/

http://www.justgiving.com/Raymond-Yule

Last edited by a moderator:
Back