Toon 3 Mackems 2

Biggav

Inactive User
Reaction score
Newcastle were forced to take the lead three times to overcome Sunderland in a pulsating north-east Derby.
Shola Ameobi's powerful header from Emre's corner sparked a four-goal spree in seven first-half minutes.
Liam Lawrence equalised with an 18-yard shot, then Ameobi headed Newcastle in front again - only for Stephen Elliott to curl home superbly from distance.
Shay Given somehow denied Elliott, who later hit the bar, but Emre's inch-perfect free-kick secured victory.
It was a goal worthy of winning a thrilling encounter - and a fantastic way for the midfielder to open his Newcastle goal account.
Sunderland keeper Kelvin Davis, who had earlier scrambled clear a goal-bound Emre corner, was helpless as the ball crashed off his left-hand post and into the net.
Newcastle's injured striker Michael Owen, watching from the stands, was so overcome he looked to have momentarily lost his grip on the child in his arms.
Owen's absence had been less of a problem than the Magpies may have feared as his replacement Ameobi proved a more than adequate deputy.
His aeriel threat proved too much for Sunderland to handle - first when he lost his marker to notch the opener and then three minutes later when he nodded in Charles N'Zogbia's hooked cross.
Squeezed between Ameobi's first goals of the season came a strike of real quality from Lawrence, who arrowed a low shot into the bottom right corner.
There was no time to catch breath as the frenetic pace continued - as did the quality of Sunderland's finishing.
After jinking his way into a shooting opportunity, Elliott unleashed a curler from 25 yards, which sailed into the top left corner.
It was an unexpected passage of play, illuminating a committed, passionate and unusually open match.
Dean Whitehead had been booked after only 35 seconds for a crunching tackle on Emre.
But the Turkish international had the final say when he curled in a cracking set-piece.
Steven Carr was lucky not to see red after he was booked in the second half, having escaped a caution in the first - which was given mistakenly to Scott Parker.
The action, however, took place almost entirely - and highly memorably - in the goalmouths.
After the break Given somehow pushed Elliott's low shot around the post, while Davis saved Steven taylor's header from point blank range, having already thwarted Ameobi in the first half.
Sunderland almost equalised for a third time when Anthony le Tallec flicked on a header and Elliott lobbed Given.
Everyone at St James' Park turned to watch and the black and whites were relieved when the ball crashed back off the bar.
There was still time for Taylor to clear near his goal-line as substitue Andy Gray was poised to snatch a point for the visitors.
Newcastle boss Graeme Souness:
"The first half belonged to us - we totally dominated and scored two good goals. But Sunderland had two shots and scored two spectacular goals.
"We have huffed and puffed recently but we have not had our special players on the pitch. We have not been scoring.
"But today we had players on the pitch who can make things happen."
Sunderland boss Mick McCarthy:
"My lads were fantastic - but we got beaten and I'm absolutely sick about it. I think we did enough in the game to have got something out of it.
"Stephen Elliott was excellent and only the width of the crossbar cost us.
"I think we could have done better than to concede from corner kicks. But my players are giving me, the club and the supporters value for money."

Ameobi's second was off his arm... Mardonna cheat git ;)

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness:
"The first half belonged to us - we totally dominated and scored two good goals. But Sunderland had two shots and scored two spectacular goals.
"We have huffed and puffed recently but we have not had our special players on the pitch. We have not been scoring.
"But today we had players on the pitch who can make things happen."

What match was he watching....lol

Anyways it was a crackin game and even the mags I spoke to said we deseved the draw (the honest ones that is)

And don't get me strated on the pen we should of hand, clear shot on goal in the box and a knee to the grone brought the player down...

Cheaten mag ...LOL

Ok good game....

Ooo and man of the fooken match my hairy ass.... ok he scored 2 goals but what else did he do apart from trip on his dangly legs..... FOOK all.

Ok tooo many pints so i'll sign off ;)

That was a game to put all the rest to shame.....

Com on the Mags :Cheers:
What can I say - What a great game and what great goals - hurts to say it, but even the Mackems goals were good.
I'm f'in glad we won, but the last ten - 15mins was nail biting stuff. Its the first time I've seen the Mackems play since they were promoted and have to admit they were quite good.
see how's U do the next time : tosser :

what was the score hmmmmmmmmmm 2-1 your just bitter cause the black and white army humpped the red and white scumbags yes it should of been a draw but s**t happens tuff luck toon toon black and white army toon toon black and white army toon toon black and white army toon toon black and white army toon toon black and white army

see your that gutted you did not reply saying it was 3-2

The mags 3 - The Who are they 2

There goes Dutcho with his mackem excuses! Too many pints he says I think that was before the game. having watched the game in the flesh and then on sky and the replays and the comments from George Graham etc Shola's second came off his head onto Caldwell (Mags reject) and into the goal. No player complained and claimed a free kick only a biased Mackem would do that especially one who told me it was Stubbs that Shola tackled - doesn't even know his own players so I ask what does he really know about football? Must say Mackems goals were great strikes but that is all they did and it was typical of the Mags just after they score the go to sleep.

What about McCarthy's tactics at the start I can just imagine his final words before they came out. 'Take out Emre and Parker if you get booked don't worry just take them out' After all that is how he played the game years ago.

I do not normally have much time for Shola but yesterday he put himself about and looked like the player he was two seasons ago, we need more of that.

As far as Dutchois concerned go back to your drunken stupour and dream of travelling to Leeds etc next season. OH sorry when was the last time you ACTUALLY went to a match except when you came to the Toon with me lol lol lol

:Cheers:

A neutral report, not one with black and white glasses on...

Newcastle edged a pulsating derby at St James's Park as Mick McCarthy's men were left to rue two missed chances in the second half.
The home side, looking for their fourth successive win over their arch-rivals, had to take the lead three times to overcome Sunderland who should have hit back to make it 3-3.

An amazing eight-minute spell towards the end of the first half produced four goals, the Black Cats twice hitting back with spectacular efforts.
The first came from Liam Lawrence, a right-foot strike from 25 yards. Then Stephen Elliott rifled one into the top corner.

It took a superb second-half free-kick by Emre to seal a win for Newcastle - but the Wearsiders left Tyneside disappointed after goal hero Elliott hit the crossbar and referee Rob Styles denied Lawrence a penalty in the second half.

Dean Whitehead ensured a fiery start to the game inside the first minute when he launched into a tackle on Emre and received a yellow card from referee Rob Styles.
It was a scrappy start to the game with little goalmouth action in the opening stages.

Newcastle had their first attempt at goal after 10 minutes when Emre turned Whitehead inside out and let fly from 30 yards. Kelvin Davis parried and Sunderland were able to clear.

After 19 minutes, Davis produced another good stop when the ball fell to Shola Ameobi, who shot low to his left, the former Ipswich keeper again parried away.

And two minutes later, Tommy Miller was shown a yellow card when he tracked back and lunged into a tackle from behind on Emre.

McCarthy and his assistant Ian Evans vented their anger at the fourth official after two earlier fouls by United went unpunished.

Alan Shearer found space in the corner of the Sunderland penalty box after 25 minutes, but the United striker's speculative effort curled well wide of Davis' left-hand post.

Then, just a minute later, the St James' faithful showed just how there is no love lost between the fierce rivals when Charles N'Zogbia sportingly put the ball out of play so Andy Welsh could receive treatment - and was booed by his own supporters.

Newcastle almost broke the deadlock just before the half-hour mark when Nyron Nosworthy was robbed by Ameobi on the half-way line, but the Sunderland right-back made up for it by blocking Shearer's subsequent effort at goal.

It was all United now as they pressured McCarthy's men, forcing two successive corners; and the opening goal came after 32 minutes when Emre's corner found an un-marked Ameobi in the penalty box. He sent a bullet header past Davis.

But Sunderland hit back less than two minutes later. Lawrence skipped over a couple of tackles and hit a powerful 25-yard shot which crept under Shay Given and into the Gallowgate End goal.

In an amazing four-minute period, Souness' side got their noses in front again when N'Zogbia's lofted cross into the box was met by Ameobi, who out-jumped Steve Caldwell to get his second goal of the game.

Elliott sent the Sunderland supporters into delirium, though, after 40 minutes when the Republic of Ireland international, who scored against Manchester United last week with a delightful strike, sent a superb left-footed effort into the top corner.

Skipper Gary Breen was forced out of the game two minutes later through injury, being replaced by Alan Stubbs, and after two minutes injury time the two sides went into the break level-pegging, giving the crowd time to gets its breath back.

Julio Arca, who recovered from a fractured toe to make the bench today, replaced Welsh at half-time, and the mercurial Argentinean forced a foul from right-back Stephen Carr just three minutes into the second half, the former Tottenham man receiving a yellow card.

Sunderland threatened United's goal in the 49th minute when they attacked in numbers, and Whitehead's 20-yard shot deflected off Jean Alan Boumsong and just wide of Given's right-hand post and out for a corner.

The Wearsiders were again on the attack two minutes later when Elliott twisted inside the box and shot low to Given's right, forcing his Ireland international team-mate to parry the ball out for a corner.

But it was Newcastle who went ahead for the third time after 61 minutes. They were awarded a free-kick after Caldwell fouled Ameobi 25 yards from goal. Emre found the net with a curling set-piece which crept just inside of Davis' left-hand post.

And as they pressured Sunderland again for a fourth goal, centre-back Steven Taylor rose high above Justin Hoyte to send a thumping header at Davis from Emre's free-kick, but Davis instinctively stopped with his legs and Hoyte was able to clear.

Sunderland were denied a penalty after 77 minutes when Lawrence ghosted past Carr inside the box and had his legs taken away by Peter Rammage.

The Black Cats pressured again just moments later when Lawrence's dangerous right-wing cross was stopped just six yards out by Steven Taylor, and United cleared.

A Sunderland substitution late in the game almost paid dividends. French striker Le Tallec jumped to flick on for Elliott, but the striker couldn't match his sublime first-half effort when his clever lob over Given dropped on to the United crossbar.

It summed up a frustrating second half for Sunderland whose wait for a win over Newcastle goes on.

Mick McCarthy said he was "proud" of Sunderland's performance after they lost a thumping Tyne-Wear derby.

The Black Cats twice came from behind but still ended up losing 3-2 at St. James's Park.

"I keep saying it, we are unlucky," said the Sunderland boss. "It was a terrific performance but we were on the end of another defeat.
"I don't think the result really mirrors the game but we have been beaten again. It doesn't matter what I say, they [Newcastle] have the bragging rights.

"There is a sense of pride in our performance, but frustration that we have not got the result it deserved."

Sunderland were denied a penalty in the second half when Liam Lawrence looked to be tripped inside the box.

McCarthy said: "I think it's one of them that could have been given, but there was about as much chance of getting it as of me flying out of here under my own steam flapping my hands. I didn't think it was ever, ever going to be given.

"We played well - they were hanging on at times - but they had the one bit of quality and that has counted for them.

"It was a fantastic strike [by Emre], I can't dispute the quality; but we have done enough and should have had something out of it.

"I think the lads have been fantastic, I'm proud of them. They have given every last drop.

"We were the better side in th second half. The width of the cross-bar was the difference.

"These players are growing in the Premiership. There is ability there and we are getting better.

"We have come into the eye of a storm here and quietened it for long periods with the quality of our football.

"We've been beaten and it hurts because it is a derby, but we have got to keep on playing like that. We will be better for this experience."

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness added: "We were excellent in the first half but the second was Sunderland's."

Dont understand why you think the report I copied and pasted off the BBC was a one with Black and White glasses on mate.

From being at the game and watching the highlights on the nightime I still feel that Newcastle did enough to win it. The stats with regards to shots possession and the like were in Newcastles favour. You cant disagree with these.
Yes we agree Sunderland played out of their skins and raised their game as you would expect in a derby. (I keep hearing if we play like that for the rest of the season then we will stay up, this indicates to me that you havent been playing like this and you just raised your game in front of the big crowd)
Yes We agree Newcastles defending at times was woeful
Yes we agree Sunderland had spells in the game where they were unlucky not to score
Yes we agree they could have had a penalty but these things happen in games and unless you take your chances you dont win. We can all point to penalties we should have had but didnt get throughout the season.
Yes we agree Newcastle scored 3 goals and Sunderland only got 2 which is the stat that matters.
NO we dont agree that you were the better team overall we never will agree on this.

Im sick of whingeing mackems going on today about how we cheated them and how they deserved to win my heart bleeds for them, in my eyes it makes it even sweeter that the mackems feel hard done to aswell- not only have we taken 3 points off them weve also made them all cry.

Bring on the rematch Im sure until then we will hear plenty more whinges, and Im sure if we get at least 3 of our 6 1st teamers back from injury (Bramble, Dyer, Bowyer, Luque,Owen, Babayaro) then we will give you lot something more to whine on about.

Just be graceful losers, dust yourselves down and get on with playing like that week in and week out and I agree you will stay up, but my suspicion is that you cant maintain a performance like that week in week out the game was raised due to it being a local derby.

PS Dutcho nice Avatar please remind me again what FTM stands for as im sure it is Fecking Thick Moaners

PMSL.... Bet you fooken fingers are hurtin now ;)

I was after all YOUR manager that said the second half was all Sunderland... But hey if your saying he doesnt know what he's talking about then thats ok with me... :)

I hear 300 of your glorious fans set about rippingthe big market apart...sheer class and then they even attacked a bus full of disabled supporters... showing their class once again.

Oh by the way this was reported in the Evening Chronicle, A black and white rag I believe.

As for my avie, I sure you really know what it stands for :)

Anyway I am not disbuting the score just thought we played really well and were not the muppets you thought you were gonna slaughter...lol

As for stepping up a gear, think we have performed this well for the past few games my self and things can only get better.

I did chuckle the moment Arca stepped onto the pitch on one of your CLASS players ran up and took the guy's legs away within a few seconds, maybe aiming for the broken toe perhaps, surly not coz you play with honour and would not stoop to such tatics.

End result was it was a crackin game thatshowed the rest of the league how it should be done, the banter will all ways be there wither which way the results go in future and that's what makes us prud of the colours we wear.

I do however strongly beliebe that the ref favoured the home side and just hope it's the case on the return 'battle'.

It's been fun, ta ta for now.

Dutcho said:
I hear 300 of your glorious fans set about rippingthe big market apart...sheer class and then they even attacked a bus full of disabled supporters... showing their class once again.

Anyway I am not disbuting the score just thought we played really well and were not the muppets you thought you were gonna slaughter...lol

End result was it was a crackin game thatshowed the rest of the league how it should be done, the banter will all ways be there wither which way the results go in future and that's what makes us prud of the colours we wear.

It's been fun, ta ta for now.

Fair points but I have to have a final say on these

There was trouble before the game with Sunderland fans who chose not to travel officially which I saw the ugly side of with my 9 year old son- something I didnt enjoy.The trouble after the game was through both sets of fans. i think we can agree that the majority of fans like you and myself enjoy the banter but that is as far as it goes. These people are in a minority

I was by no means confident we were going to slaughter you. I have been to enough derby games to know it doesnt work like that. I agree you played well and I also agreee if you perform like that every week you will stay up, but I dont think you can, thats my opinion from what little I have seen of yous I may be wrong

And I do agree it was a great advert If you could find a neutral in the North East they would tell you it was a great game.
Your right the banter will always be there which is good and Ive no doubt in the future if a result goes your way you will shove these words right up my arse and I will expect that.

Ive said this before Im from South Shields and the support is pretty even for both clubs, I have good friends who support sunderland and It is all good natured banter and that is as far as it goes.
The level of hatred that there is between city centre geordies and city centre mackems is quite intense but us sanddancers live in peace and harmony.
Spread the Love
Fook your right my fingers are sore now.
Send me to bed will you
Gav

Back