TomTom.. not that impressed...

Mubz

Inactive User
Reaction score
well, i splashed out a bought my TomTom Go 720 and to be honest I'm not that impressed so far...
don't get me wrong it looks the dogs,and it can do some cool things,but....
so far i've entered 3 addresses for work today including postcodes and 2 of them aren't on the dam thing WTF!!!
i thought these things were meant to make thing easier and quicker!!!

got home and i installed the software and went to upgrade maps section.
and the f**kers wanted to charge me 50 quid for a new map...
new, i've just bought the fecken thing, why should i need new maps, when the fricken device is new
*and breath*
good job i didn't bin my trusty old maps :)

so do i have to buy a new map, or is there 'anything' else i can do???

i've coped the info screen from my tomtom so you guys know what i've got
any more help/kicks in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Mubz

what postcodes / addresses you havin problems with. I have V720 maps of various flavours and can check them out for you

If you have only just bought the device is it not covered by the latest map guarantee ? Call them up and have a go at getting a free map upgrade as you have only just bought the damm thing. Failing that have a look at the sticky in this section that deals with V.8 maps and V.8 Navicore. But like i say you should really get this free and legal as you only just purchased it.

Edit to add - I note that your navcore version is V8.01 - this inturn means you can use V8 maps which are indeed the latest. Call them up mate, ask why you have just bought a TomTom device with an outdated map and ask if this isnt covered by the latest map Guarantee, if they say yes then your good to go....if they say no then with the info you have posted in this thread im sure 1 of us could upload the latest UK & Ire map ready to be installed onto your card.....its all pretty straight forward (must be if i could do it). Keep us updated when you give them a call.

Last edited:
i bought a 920 with latest maps !! but ive sent it back as half the roads round here are not on it !!! WTF

So i have returned it and got a refund Ive now got a Garmin Nuvi and its the dogs TBH

hold up, i think a little bit of user error might have a small part to play in one instance :blushing:
but it defo doesn't have FK2 8DE on it (roughlands drive)... the street is there but called something else completely...

i'l try giving them a call/email and see what the say, but your right, new product should have the newest map on it...

cheers for the help guys, I'll let you know how i get on

Mubz

OK, I checked the postcode on 3 UK&ROI maps, 720.1802, 715.1689 and 705.1480

All came up as Raeside Avenue

Checked on an "older" 675.1322 Western Europe map and came up as roughlands drive.

So make of that what you can, higher Map numbers dont automatically mean more up to date.......unless somewhere along the line they have renamed the street !!

telephone tomtom asap an ensure you get the latest map guarantee. don't put on the cheat until it is absolutley necesary, you are not missing anything. One reason you will not get the new ver8 map is it hasn't been released for the 720 yet, but if you want to buy it, it will work, as the 720/730 are the same machine, different wrapper. Ask when the new map is going to be released for the 720 ? I think they will say there are no plans at the moment. If you need it now you have to hope it is released within the thirty day map guarantee period, after that you can buy it as a 730 map or do as the other poster suggested.:eater:

what a hassle i've had with the tomtom....
I'm now on my 4th....
i've had one with about 1 hour battery, one that wouldn't find any more than 3 satellites and the other 2 have went strange in one way or another...
so what is happening now is every time i dock my tomtom to my PC it removes the default voice and also removes 2 of the quick launch icons.

I'm gonna take it back again but was wondering if anyone else has had the same sort of problems

Back