Tomtom Go 520 messed up...need help!

ripperuk123

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi there,

i've got a tomtom go 520 and it seems to have no problems, detecting where i am, but there are a few other problems with it:-

1. There are no voices, even though they are on the SD card...files are corrupted??????

2. When i choose "go to certain location", the tomtom reboots.

My guess is that the files on the tomtom are corrupt, so my questions are that is it possible for me to wipe out everything on the tomtom and reinstall a fresh copy of software/maps/poi/camera???? What is the latest software & uk maps that i can download???

Thanks for your help!

12 views and no replies. Can some kind soul please help me...thanks!

Had you made a back up using home ? and have you tried to use the reset button ?

hi there,

i've got a tomtom go 520 and it seems to have no problems, detecting where i am, but there are a few other problems with it:-

1. There are no voices, even though they are on the SD card...files are corrupted??????

2. When i choose "go to certain location", the tomtom reboots.

My guess is that the files on the tomtom are corrupt, so my questions are that is it possible for me to wipe out everything on the tomtom and reinstall a fresh copy of software/maps/poi/camera???? What is the latest software & uk maps that i can download???

Thanks for your help!

You must have an Internet connection before you start this procedure.

Exit from TT Home, connect your TT to your PC. Create a folder on your PC and Copy the all folders from your TT to your PC. Copy any files on the root of the SD that have the name of your map to your PC.

You can then format the SD, reboot the TT, you will get a red cross on the screen. Start TT Home then connect your TT, let TT home connect to the TT. TT home will now down load the TT software to your TT once complete copy the folders back from you PC to the TT. Once complete, press the reset button on your TT.

It should now work.

thanks for replying porche.

The tomtom has two drives detected..one is its internal memory and the other is the SD card. The internal memory i have managed to backup with no problems, but the SD card can't be copied as windows gives various errors, such as "Cannot copy Application: Cannot read from source file or disk" and "Cannot copy craigdavid: The parameters are incorrect".

Can i not simply wipe out the SD card and download the latest maps and install the software that way??? What files are on the SD card that are so important???? Oh Btw i'm not 100% sure, but it seems that the files on the SD card seem to already exist on the the tomtom's internal memory.

Thanks

Last edited:
sorry guys...i've gone ahead and formatted the SD card even though i could not backup as a friend told me that the files might be corrupt. The tomtom map is showing, but the voices now don't work at all...how do i fix this?

Here are the device details:-
device xxxxxxxxxx
App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943
64MB RAM (free: 34.4MB)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.4106
Map: 'United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland' v705.1480 (Can i update this to a new version??? how???)
Language: English UK

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a Voice folder on the Internal memory and does it contain data.vif and data.chk files?

yes porche944 mate...there is a "voices" folder with loads of data*.vif and data*.chk files.

This may sound silly but have you checked the volume it set to 100%? If so, then do you have a ASR folder?

yes mate, the volume is 100% and there is an ASR folder with loads of files that have extensions .dat and .ctx

Is it possible for yourself or someone to show me how to format EVERYTHING, download GB maps and redo the whole lot? I think that will be a lot quicker than trying to figure out what this problem is and will mean a clean start too.

I'll pm u my email and if u wish, we can talk on msn.

Once again thanks for helping me.

Check this link out once you download the tools there are full instruciotns, it works for me.

hey guys, i have never seen a tomtom520, but does the internal memory carry the aplications and things, and the sd card just for the maps?

focus

hey guys, i have never seen a tomtom520, but does the internal memory carry the aplications and things, and the sd card just for the maps?

focus
the 520 can have the maps internal but it can only use the small masp to use the 2gb maps u have to use a sd card
now if u get a 720 this has a large hdd build in
this u can use the 2gb map and the software
still has a sd slot which u can use for mp3's

Many thanks porche. David or anyone else who knows tomtoms really well...the instructions that are given on that link are really vague...is there a step-by-step guide on setting up a tomtom..i.e how to do a BRAND NEW INSTALL assuming the TT memory was totally wiped out???

the 520 can have the maps internal but it can only use the small masp to use the 2gb maps u have to use a sd card
now if u get a 720 this has a large hdd build in
this u can use the 2gb map and the software
still has a sd slot which u can use for mp3's

thanx for that david :)

hi there guys..thanks for helping. I tried what installing navcore 8.10 and West Euro maps 8.05, but the TT device won't boot up anymore and there is an icon telling me that the SD card logo isn't inserted, even though it is.

Its fairly easy for those who know the device well and they know which files/folders go where, but I'm not much of a techno person and would be most grateful if someone could guide me step-by-step as to how to fix this or maybe tell me the whole procedure of where each file/folder needs to be placed.

FYI, I want to put the navcore and any other system files on the internal memory and the voices and maps on the SD card

Thank You for your time

hi there guys..thanks for helping. I tried what installing navcore 8.10 and West Euro maps 8.05, but the TT device won't boot up anymore and there is an icon telling me that the SD card logo isn't inserted, even though it is.

Its fairly easy for those who know the device well and they know which files/folders go where, but I'm not much of a techno person and would be most grateful if someone could guide me step-by-step as to how to fix this or maybe tell me the whole procedure of where each file/folder needs to be placed.

FYI, I want to put the navcore and any other system files on the internal memory and the voices and maps on the SD card

Thank You for your time
navcore 8.10 hasnt been cracked yet

what u need isd the older navcore 8.00
and u need it for the older devices

i will look for u

Back