Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'

english

Inactive User
Reaction score
Rosa Prince – Telegraph.co.uk July 7, 2008

Toddlers who turn their noses up at spicy food from overseas could be branded racists by a Government-sponsored agency.

The National Children's Bureau, which receives £12 million a year, mainly from Government funded organisations, has issued guidance to play leaders and nursery teachers advising them to be alert for racist incidents among youngsters in their care.

This could include a child of as young as three who says "yuk" in response to being served unfamiliar foreign food.

The guidance by the NCB is designed to draw attention to potentially-racist attitudes in youngsters from a young age.

It alerts playgroup leaders that even babies can not be ignored in the drive to root out prejudice as they can "recognise different people in their lives".

The 366-page guide for staff in charge of pre-school children, called Young Children and Racial Justice, warns: "Racist incidents among children in early years settings tend to be around name-calling, casual thoughtless comments and peer group relationships."

It advises nursery teachers to be on the alert for childish abuse such as: "blackie", "Pakis", "those people" or "they smell".

The guide goes on to warn that children might also "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuk'".

Staff are told: "No racist incident should be ignored. When there is a clear racist incident, it is necessary to be specific in condemning the action."

Warning that failing to pick children up on their racist attitudes could instil prejudice, the NCB adds that if children "reveal negative attitudes, the lack of censure may indicate to the child that there is nothing unacceptable about such attitudes".

Nurseries are encouraged to report as many incidents as possible to their local council. The guide added: "Some people think that if a large number of racist incidents are reported, this will reflect badly on the institution. In fact, the opposite is the case."
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...ho-dislike-spicy-food-racist,-say-report.html

:Clap:

what a load of pc crap...! its racist forcing them to "like" this food or risk being branded racist... what a load of tosh.

Ok whos first then , now that Mr English has so kindly planted the seed.

Didn't the British invent the curry??

:)

I woud stop funding them if thats the type of crap they are going to come out with. What a total waste of money, totally ludicous, some poor o.a.p tried to top himself last week because he couldnt afford his heating bill (which was wrong anyway) and the government pay for this sh1te.

I woud stop funding them if thats the type of crap they are going to come out with. What a total waste of money, totally ludicous, some poor o.a.p tried to top himself last week because he couldnt afford his heating bill (which was wrong anyway) and the government pay for this sh1te.

That about puts this thread into perspective.

As usual, good post mate.

The guide goes on to warn that children might also "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuk'".

The title of the Telegraph article is: "Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'"

Where is the mention of racism in the above quote?

A bit of twisting and manipulating it would seem.

Maybe The National Children's Bureau is using tabloid sensationalist style reporting to get a bit of attention and hopefully a larger budget?

WTF has race got to do with the phrase "they smell"? I was on a tram yesterday and folks of all colours smelt, irrespective of race!

if not liking spicy food makes someone a racist then i must be one of the biggest offenders on the planet

i HATE anything even remotley spicey, even a bit of pepper is too much for me, i suppose i must also be oceanist as well then as everything from the sea is puke too, and prawns should be made illegal

who the hell are these agencies that keep coming up with crap like this? cut their funding, let them pay for themselfs, then lets see how much noise they make over stupid pointless crap like this

read the article - the agency isnt saying they are racist - these kids are too young to know what the word means, let alone be racist.

The article is typical Daily Mail pish - they are not reporting that the agency is branding these kids as racists, the Daily Mail is interpreting the guidelines to say that kids could be monitored for racist behaviour.

Its typical scaremongering from the Daily Mail, probably best to ignore it...

Last edited:
Back