To any "sparkies" in the house

Blartiartfast

Inactive User
Reaction score
Mates asked me to wire this motor into his compressor...'cos I repair mobile phones for a living he assumes this is a 2 minute job..

It's a Clarke motor
Type 90LB2
HP3
RPM 700
2.2kw
Phase 1
Volt 230 50 hz 14.5a

There are 2 sets of wires on it. 2 red, and 2 white.

He seems to think it's a 2 phase motor. Not seen it yet, but am "going down" to see it later on.

"phase 1" on the plate seems to imply that it's a single phase to me.. Any ideas on wiring this up.

The compressor it is getting wired to is 18 years old...Thats all I know for now..

Any help please.

im no sparky but id think if there are two sets of wires.. maybe had a cut out switch ? but been removed

You will need a pressure cut off sensor as well once it reaches a level where it would be dangerous should it go anymore.

For starters its a single phase motor....

Generally there should be a terminal box with connection terminals inside and there should be three of them, live neutral and earth...

Im surprised if these wires are just loose ?

as prev mentioned some motors have thermal coil protection wired into their control circuits, single phase motors some times have capacitor starts..

Where did he get this motor ?, sounds a bit ropey to me ? motor speed are governed by frequency and number of poles etc, since frequency is fixed what makes him think this motor is compatible for his compressor ?

Im gonna guess that the compressor is belt drive ? by manufactured selected diameter belt pully's

do a search on the motor m8 and try to find a manufacturers circuit diagram

Regards

Taff

Cheers, that was one thought I'd had

With the details on the plate, do you also think that the motor is a standard single phase with cut off.
The thing that threw me was that it has white wires.
..Closest I ever come to any motors with this kind of capacity is when I pump my tryes up at Tesco.

Ask me about a cobba, hagar, etc and I can bore the $hit out of the best of 'em. :proud:

Cheers Taff.
Another thought from a distant college course was that some motors required a "starter".

Only way to sus this one is to have a trip out and have a proper look at it with the old Fluke 123...Most its ever read upto was 6v at about 100ma lol

Thanks for the replies

Some ac motors requir a start capacitor and some a start and run capacitor but there will be some additional electrics to control these.

Back