To any "sparkies" in the house

Blartiartfast

Inactive User
Reaction score
Mates asked me to wire this motor into his compressor...'cos I repair mobile phones for a living he assumes this is a 2 minute job..

It's a Clarke motor
Type 90LB2
HP3
RPM 700
2.2kw
Phase 1
Volt 230 50 hz 14.5a

There are 2 sets of wires on it. 2 red, and 2 white.

He seems to think it's a 2 phase motor. Not seen it yet, but am "going down" to see it later on.

"phase 1" on the plate seems to imply that it's a single phase to me.. Any ideas on wiring this up.

The compressor it is getting wired to is 18 years old...Thats all I know for now..

Any help please.

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
im no sparky but id think if there are two sets of wires.. maybe had a cut out switch ? but been removed

You will need a pressure cut off sensor as well once it reaches a level where it would be dangerous should it go anymore.

Taff

Inactive User
Reaction score
For starters its a single phase motor....

Generally there should be a terminal box with connection terminals inside and there should be three of them, live neutral and earth...

Im surprised if these wires are just loose ?

as prev mentioned some motors have thermal coil protection wired into their control circuits, single phase motors some times have capacitor starts..

Where did he get this motor ?, sounds a bit ropey to me ? motor speed are governed by frequency and number of poles etc, since frequency is fixed what makes him think this motor is compatible for his compressor ?

Im gonna guess that the compressor is belt drive ? by manufactured selected diameter belt pully's

do a search on the motor m8 and try to find a manufacturers circuit diagram

Regards

Taff

Blartiartfast

Inactive User
Reaction score
Cheers, that was one thought I'd had

With the details on the plate, do you also think that the motor is a standard single phase with cut off.
The thing that threw me was that it has white wires.
..Closest I ever come to any motors with this kind of capacity is when I pump my tryes up at Tesco.

Ask me about a cobba, hagar, etc and I can bore the $hit out of the best of 'em. :proud:

Blartiartfast

Inactive User
Reaction score
Cheers Taff.
Another thought from a distant college course was that some motors required a "starter".

Only way to sus this one is to have a trip out and have a proper look at it with the old Fluke 123...Most its ever read upto was 6v at about 100ma lol

Thanks for the replies

IANB

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Some ac motors requir a start capacitor and some a start and run capacitor but there will be some additional electrics to control these.

TEST