TM600 HDD Formatting

pelotonpete

Inactive User
Reaction score
I bought an EXTERNAL Western Digital 1TB HDD formatted NTFS because I wanted a multipurpose drive for use with my PC as well as my STB.

However the TM600 wouldn't record to it without re-formatting it. Now nothing else will mount it, and presumably if I format it again from my PC the TM600 won't like it!

Have I been naive, or is there a way around this? I've read others have mounted LAN NTFS formatted drives from the TM600, is using a USB device different?

The TM-600 uses a linux format for the hard disk, either ext2 or ext3. and windows won't read it without another program/driver, can't remember the name of it right now. I failed to mount a ntfs formatted drive over lan but mounted a TM-600 formatted drive ok. I now use a WD 1Tb drive in my TM-600 just for my TM-600 recordings
Alun

you can network mount a windows formatted drive, but if its connected directly to the receiver, itll be formatted for use with linux, and windows wont recognise it, unless you connect via the network usinf FTP software

you can network mount a windows formatted drive,

Yes, that was my plan A!

I tried in vain for 2 days to do it without success, even though TONEDEFF has written a load of stuff on it. I'm running XP on my PC and must have tried dozens of times to mount shared folders.

Since my external disk purchase was a bad decision (in hindsight) I would still like to mount a drive over the network. Love to hear from anyone who's managed it on XP especially if they solved some particular problems along the way!

Like i said i failed the first and only time i tried, blood pressure got the better of me! but i will try again. Thinking about it the part i didn't figure out was to think of it as "remapping" the usb port over the network. You will also have to plug a usb drive into the usb port first to select it as the default recording port. After that you should be able to mount the drive but usb or usb1 or usb2 will have to be in the address as tonedef tried to point out to me.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
Alun

Back