Thousands plan to party on Tube

ITN - Friday, May 30 06:08 pm

Thousands have signed up for a final drinks party on the London Underground the night before an alcohol ban takes effect.
[FONT=Verdana,arial,sans-serif][/FONT]

From Sunday, drinking from, and carrying, open containers of alcohol will be banned, with the aim of making travelling on London's public transport network a safer and more pleasant experience for passengers.
The ban, announced earlier this month by new London Mayor Boris Johnson, applies to the Tube, London buses, Docklands Light Railway and tram services and stations across the capital.
Over 4,000 people have signed up to groups on facebook in support of the alcohol party.
On "Circle Line Party - Last Day of Drinking on the Tube" they say "this has to be done... to celebrate our freedom to drink". On the Facebook site of the group, "One Final Tube Booze Party", it says "lets all party together and have fun!".
Union leaders have attacked the plans saying it was "irresponsible" to organise a party when alcohol played a part in many incidents on the Tube.
The party is due to be held on a Circle Line train on Saturday evening, with websites telling revellers to bring their own cocktails.
Bob Crow, general secretary of the The Rail Maritime and Transport (RMT) union, said that the ban on alcohol on Tube trains was "half-baked" and could put staff in greater danger of assault.
"We are concerned that London Underground does not intend to put on any extra staff on Saturday night as it will be our members who will be in the front line and at risk from aggressive drunken behaviour," he said.
A spokesman for Transport for London said: "We understand the organisers of this event are asking all those attending to act responsibly and to consider their fellow passengers.
"We would echo that advice and will be monitoring the event to make sure there is no disruption to other passengers or Tube services," they said.
TfL also said The British Transport Police will have an enhanced presence on the Tube due to a number of events happening in London on Saturday.

I WAANA GOO I WAANAA GOO would be a good larf xx

Excellent.. looked good on the news there.

only 17 people arrested. Guess thats not to bad considering how many folk turned up.

Now thats what you call an underground party lol

(I'll get me coat)

it was hell for me i didnt know anything about it then got 2 the underground with my dog right in the middle of it trying 2 get home after 10 hours of travelling the longest trip in my life was from kings cross to aldgate

Back