The story so far

stelladrinka

Inactive User
Reaction score
Graphics failed with no rrod, tried envain to get the rrod but to no avail. bought x clamp off flea bay, temporary fix for maybe 2 months, then failed again (same fault). Bought 360 off fleabay with dvd read error. Swapped the drive PCB's (as both were Hitachi's) and flashed with 1.4. Now it wont recognise backup games and will only play films ect. I used 4.5 toolbox to check the firmware was flashed to the drive and it came up as 46:v1.4s-8x. Any ideas please? I know the drive is ok as it came out of the fooked xbox and was working fine.

Did you read the firmware of the original Drive/PCB to get the key and the switch the PCB and flash 1.4 with that key?

Im assuming it was modded before you flashed to 1.4?

Did you restore first?

I swapped the unmodded pcb out of the new (2nd hand) xbox so as I didnt have to change the drive keys, and flashed the drive with 1.4. I'm assuming it was not modded as when I dumped the firmware the toolbox told me it was original. Should I restore the drive and flash it again with 1.4.
Cheers

But the key is in the flash on the drives PCB, so the new console now has your old consoles PCB which means it has your old consoles key. I think you have the process of switching PCBs backwards, the only time you dont have to flash a new key to a pcb is if your drive breaks and you buy a replacement drive you take the PCB from the broken drive and put it in the new drive now it can be installed in your console and it will work as it has the same PCB/firmware/key as it did before.

But your moving to a new console altogether which means you have to put the PCB of the ebay 360 back in read the firmware to get the key then switch the PCB(or even the entire drive) flash it with whatever firmware you want but not forgeting to inject the key you got ealier.

The xbox has the pcb that it came with fitted to my old drive which didnt have a fault, it works fine for movies , but wont play games.The issue is not the drivekey as the xbox wouldn't boot the problem is 1.4, is it possible to flash it and it is not flashed correctly, but it still works.

Ah rite, now that should work.

Does it play originals?

cause if not it could be that the so callled "drive read error" is actually a bricked 360.

When the key is wrong the 360 will boot it will also play DVDs, it just wont play games.

Worst case scenario.

But about that drive error did you try a game before you done anything with the 360, would it boot the game at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
the disc wouldn't spin up, think the motor was no good. I don't have an original to try.

You get your hands on an origional and test it with MS firmware.

reading into it it looks like I've been shafted of fleabay, they have obviously just thrown any drive into the box I've bought, so I'll never be able to recover the mb drive key. Anyone got a cheap xbox for sale :(

Ive seen it happen many times mate, that 360 is probbably bricked and they put in a banjacksed drive like you said.

360s sold with DVD drive errors are often sellers playing dumb to sell the item but the know quite well why it cannot read games.

.The issue is not the drivekey as the xbox wouldn't boot

:err:

Maybe I've read this wrong.

Are you saying that an Xbox360 will not boot just because the drive key is wrong?

I can assure you that a 360 will boot no problem wether the drive key is correct or not, it'll just not load any media.

I used to offer a free 360 flash service, if people lived far away then I'd ask them to post only their drive, 1st thing I would do is backup their firmware then flash my OWN drive key onto their drive (just to make sure the drive was OK in the 1st place), then I'd flash their drive with their own Ixtreme flavoured drivekey, I would then make sure the drive functioned properly by inserting a backup and reseting the machine, obviously the games never loaded as the drive key was wrong but there was no issue at all with the system refusing to boot.

As I said, maybe I've misunderstood your post.

:err:

Maybe I've read this wrong.

Are you saying that an Xbox360 will not boot just because the drive key is wrong?

I can assure you that a 360 will boot no problem wether the drive key is correct or not, it'll just not load any media.

I used to offer a free 360 flash service, if people lived far away then I'd ask them to post only their drive, 1st thing I would do is backup their firmware then flash my OWN drive key onto their drive (just to make sure the drive was OK in the 1st place), then I'd flash their drive with their own Ixtreme flavoured drivekey, I would then make sure the drive functioned properly by inserting a backup and reseting the machine, obviously the games never loaded as the drive key was wrong but there was no issue at all with the system refusing to boot.

As I said, maybe I've misunderstood your post.

Did you have a Hitachi and Samsung drive to do this on, I can imagine it being a pain spoofing drives and TSOP removal just to see they were working ;)

I work in mysterious ways mate :)

But yes, they were all Sammys and Hitachis, the Benq hadn't even shown face at this time.

They were both Hitachi's. Getting fooked off with the instability of these things I've never had console failures like this before, this is my 3rd one. It was only 14 months old. Think I'll sell the accessories and up grade my pc.

I've never had one fail on me :)

I'm still using my 1st gen Core system :)

google it you must be the only one in the universe who hasn't had rrod or video failure! Someone must be looking down on you. lol

Back