The great DVD Recorder problem - my path to 100 unfinished discs...

orourke

Inactive User
Reaction score
Eyup You lot!

Thought I'd share with youz my journey with an LG DR4810 DVD recorder, and with a bit of luck, find an answer.

I'd been archiving stuff onto video since 1982 when I was a kid, collecting stuff that has since been lost in time, never to be seen again; those classic one-off comedies, European matches, classic episodes of The Tube etc etc.

After almost 20 years, and over 350 tapes later, it was time to reduce them all to a small wallet of DVD's, secured forever, and gaining an extra room in the house.

I started with a nicam Sony VCR, my PC and a Dazzle Box. A great solution, but ultimately it would have taken me forever to get through them all.

So I bought a DVD recorder, and chose an LG DR4810.

I was made up; I methodically took bits from each tape and made up organised compilations on DVD's. When a disc was full, they were finalised and secured forever!

Then my DVDR crashed, with the error 'PLEASE WAIT' on the screen.

As it was after 2 weeks, I got a replacement and carried on.

It lasted for a year, then the same thing happened. This time I had over 100 unfinalised DVD's, tapes sampled had been binned!

I went to Richer Siounds where it was purchased, who said I should ring LG.
I rang LG numerous times, who, because it was out of warranty, would not help apart from giving me the details of my nearest LG repair center.

I was desperate, I didn't want to lose my collection, so I rang the service center. They promptly told me that they didn't fix DVED recorders and why dont I ring LG?

I rang LG and explained.

They said that it was the only service center within 150 miles of me.

So, now I have my collection on DVD-R discs that cannot be read on any other device.

I got in touch with LG again, who said that indeed, discs recorded on an LG DR4810 can only be read/finalised on the same model.

I then tried to fix it myself, with knowledge gained thru searching forums.

Still the same.

I gave up then, kicked its f**kin head in and bought a fantastic LiteOn one.

So, if by any remote chance, any of the great minds on here can help me find a way to finalise a DVD-R recorded on an LG, I'd be ecstatic!

INFO

Nero / other recording programs cannot finalise the disc
Nero can recognise the sessions on the disc, but cannot finalise
I've yet to find a prog that can rip the video - plus, this would not be the best solution in the world as it would take forever, but maybe a last resort.

Thanks all, hope somebody can help!

The Urchin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back