The Economy

ekwat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you think is happening in the UK economy? It's fine looking at the news but they distort things so much it's hard to believe what they say. I'd like to see what's happening where you are to gauge it a bit more realistically. I can tell you from my industry that things are failing again. I work in the steel industry. Last year when the crap hit the fan we lost many, many jobs and produced virtually nothing. About 6 months in the news reported that the economy was still failing but we started to ramp up output and things were incredible. Overtime was back and we could not keep up with demand. Then, all of sudden, we are now struggling to sell steel. No one wants to buy. It's gone from absolute chaos in trying to get the material out to virtually nothing.

From my point of view the economy is on it's way back down. We have been threatened with closure once again and things are getting as miserable as they were last year.

What's it like in your business/sector?

Well i'm in Ireland and they are trying to tell us here that the recession is over and things are picking up, but from talking to friends, shopkeepers etc and from my own personal experience things aren't getting any better, if anything it's getting worse over here :(

Well i'm in Ireland and they are trying to tell us here that the recession is over and things are picking up, but from talking to friends, shopkeepers etc and from my own personal experience things aren't getting any better, if anything it's getting worse over here :(

...and another 8,500 more on the dole this month too Eva :(

Well in my industry Things picked up in the early stages of the new year and now with the Tory-Lib Dem in and there announcement of Public cuts, Every Local council is spending like its going out of fashion because of the proposed cuts that are being implemented.

Hence when we hit that deadline Its hard-times again, I Think it will be a doulble -dip recession especially with V.A.T to rise in jan to 20%

I,m under no illusion especially when The Bank of England kept the base rate at 0.5% that this country is still well in the Dogs-DOO-doo

When the base rate goes up will be the sign that we are on the road to recovery.........................simple

Well for us ie the company i work for, things could not be better !
Winning new contracts all the time and business is great.

part of the reason for that is the cutbacks.

As the public sector is hit by spending cuts, they turn to the private sector to save them money by contracting services out to tender.

local Autorities waste money by employing more staff than they need to do the job and dont work with the same mindset as the private sector.

Lots of wasted time, money and too many lazy G*ts.

If you take on a Local Autority contract, you usually inherit some of their staff under TUPE.

Lets just say, the vast majority (not all) tend not to last long with this company!

With new contracts , comes the need to recruit new staff, so in turn we are helping the economy by reducing unemployment and that in turn puts money back into the economy.

As a PLC we have shareholders and make a Multi million pound profit each year, so the shareholders get paid divedends or choose to buy more shares.

So as the company grows and we need more vehicles, machinary , tools etc.
All of which are purchased in this country from UK suppliers.

Last year when the Car industry was in recession . we spent 1.2million on new Cars and Vans from Vauxhall.

So from a personal point of view , yes i think we are coming out of recession.
But not completely out of the woods yet.

It just depends upon the industry you work in and how the decisions of the last and the new government effect our daily lives.

Last edited:
I am training in the nhs, and tbh.... what the condems said about ring fencing health services is bull !

We are having beds closed and 30 odd bed wards split in two to merge wards !

This is going to cause staff to be moved or leave as the positions left are the ones no one wants to work in, as the staff in their current positions were specially recruited to fill these rolls... yet they want to merge two sets of staff.

Bad times ahead.

Credit Cruch? is this a new one out?
ive been on a credit cruch all my life in liverpool.
since i left maggies school.

we is all the money gone? were is it i dont understand,
they say its are own fault for overdoing stuff ie buying wille nille lol
not me so its not my fault....i blame the rich.
and of course the poor/hard working normal folk are the ones who suffer once again.

I am training in the nhs, and tbh.... what the condems said about ring fencing health services is bull !

We are having beds closed and 30 odd bed wards split in two to merge wards !

This is going to cause staff to be moved or leave as the positions left are the ones no one wants to work in, as the staff in their current positions were specially recruited to fill these rolls... yet they want to merge two sets of staff.

Bad times ahead.

I'm also an NHS worker, although I work on the admin side (as a clinical coder). The hospital I'm at has had an across-the-board stop to overtime. A recruitment and promotion freeze. Voluntary severance/early retirement - provided that the post didn't need filling via promotion.

As a foundation trust, they can opt-out of A4C, and possibly even revert to Whitley rates. I have a feeling the only thing stopping them is the strike the unions would call.

The bed/ward situation is under "constant review".

Also we've increasing pressure from the PCT. We're in the unfortunate position of having at least 80% of our commissioning coming from one PCT, who increasingly wants day cases billed as outpatient attendances. It started with blood tests, which I can understand as we run a OP phlebotomy service, but last I heard they wanted to know if some chemotherapies could be done the same way (esp those for rheumatoid conditions).

In Relation to the NHS, Large NHS PCT,s are 2 of our biggest clients in relation to Grounds Maintenance , snow clearance and winter gritting.
In fact less than a month ago was was renewed for another 2 years, so must be doing something right,lol

They may try and make internal savings, but outside contracts go on.

My mrs would for agency company who had a contract with NHS, she lost her job recently. Personally I have seen an increase in spending in my industry (IT) and financial companies which drive the British economy there days seem to be on the up.

I don't think the 20% VAT is going to be huge dint in the publics spending. Aside from high value items like cards, holidays, etc people won't notice small increase. I certainly don't think it going to make people spend less.

Im currently looking for a job and im a uni graduate with good grades and skills

The problem is 50 people applying for any job i applyfor making my chances very slim.

Cant say its any better than the posision i was in last year though.

In Relation to the NHS, Large NHS PCT,s are 2 of our biggest clients in relation to Grounds Maintenance , snow clearance and winter gritting.
In fact less than a month ago was was renewed for another 2 years, so must be doing something right,lol

They may try and make internal savings, but outside contracts go on.

Good to hear it mate :)

Although, thats what makes me so angry with the nhs tbh ! its all well and good the sites looking nice and plush, with clear roads etc... but when there are no beds for the patients and over stretched staff on the wards what happens then ? :(
Please dont think I am implying thats your fault, it is not. :)

Just the suits that want to look good shuffling the books about, but they do not realise that having (a) staff on ward when there are 20 stable patients is ok... but when you have (a) staff on ward when there are 14 stable patients and 6 post op or critical for what ever reason... it just does not work, yet their outlook is.." you managed last week"

Back