Texas Massacre tops horror poll

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, made in 1974, has topped a poll of the greatest horror films of all time.

The gory classic topped a poll by movie magazine Total Film.

Made for just $140,000 US dollars, it is based on the exploits of real-life serial killer Ed Gein and stars Gunnar Hansen as the axe-wielding Leatherface.

"The only thing more terrifying than the opening 50 minutes of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is the last 30," the magazine said.

The movie was refused a certificate for many years for its depiction of violence and was one of the original crop of films termed a "video nasty".

Halloween, starring Jamie Lee Curtis, was second in the list while third was 1970s Italian shocker Suspiria, followed by Dawn of the Dead and The Shining.
TOP HORROR
1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
2. Halloween (1978)
3. Suspiria (1977)
4. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
5. The Shining (1980)
6. Psycho (1960)
7. The Wicker Man (1973)
8. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
9. Don't Look Now (1973)
10. Cannibal Holocaust (1980)

Alfred Hitchcock classic Psycho is at number six, ahead of cut British classic horror The Wicker Man.

The 1970s proved the best era for horror - six of the top 10 films came from that decade.

Total Film said: Some are terrifying, some are horrifying, some are just plain gross. But all make up the greatest horror movies of all time."

Story from BBC NEWS:
Published: 2005/10/09 09:32:44 GMT
© BBC MMV

What a great classic horror,it deserves 1st place :)

The wicker man should be higher in my opinion, but i suppose first place to texas chainsaw massacre is worthy.

Do you think its the story line or the way it was made that makes a horror movie? My thoughts are on the mood it sets in the way its made.

Just shows ya m8 u dont need megabucks and expensive special effects to make a good horror,look at blair witch project too that scared the crap out of me when i 1st saw that and that was filmed on a handheld camcorder :)

but they went and spoilt it with blair witch 2 wich was a pile of dirty pants!!

I guess you just need to have the right idea.

deserves to be no.1 what an era for horrors , they dont make em like that anymore.

Back