Tery named England captain

jaffa

Inactive User
Reaction score
Fabio Capello has appointed Chelsea defender John Terry as England captain.
Terry, 27, who succeeded David Beckham as skipper following the 2006 World Cup, was given the nod ahead of Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand.
The Chelsea skipper, who has won 44 England caps, begins his second stint as captain in Wednesday's friendly against the Czech Republic at Wembley.
The World Cup qualifiers begin in September with ties against Andorra in Barcelona and Croatia in Zagreb.
Terry was the captain under former coach Steve McClaren as England failed to qualify for Euro 2008.
Capello has taken his time to choose who will wear the armband on a permanent basis, the decision coming eight months after he was appointed as McClaren's replacement.
Liverpool's Steven Gerrard captained the side in Capello's first friendly against Switzerland, Ferdinand for the defeat in France, Terry for the 2-0 win over the United States and Beckham for the game against Trinidad and Tobago in June. The Italian said all along he was trying out the players in the role and would make a permanent choice in time for the World Cup qualifiers, which begin in September.

Source

as a Utd fan im glad that its terry and not Rio. With captaining england comes OTT pressure and with so many things to play for this season, rio can concentrate all his efforts on Utd..

Still reckon it would have brought the best out of stevie g but he knows more than me + i'm scottish so none of my business really

both are bad choices one is a womenising drunk the other goes shopping and misses drug tests what role models to the kids

it doesn't make sense to have an unpatriotic captain but not much about the national team makes sense anyway

Back