Terrible picture break up during sunshine.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
Whenever the sun is out i loose a few channels, most noticibly on Sky News, when it's cloudy the picture is perfect, my signal strength appears to be fine (sig strength and quality are at approx 90%), it's almost as if during sunny periods the signal is too strong for the box.

Any suyggestions?

are you sure its linked to the sun coming out? i never heared that before, do SKY charge for fault calls now? if not get them out it could be any one of a number of things : Alignment/LNB/Cable connections/Parabolic or even the box its-self, I would guess at alignment though myself as we have had strong winds lately here in britain, mind you if its intermittent it could be LNB. How long has this been happening?

It is something thats heard of but it can be so many different things that its a matter of trying 1 thing at a time. A new LNB and re-tune would be what sky or installers would do, but obviously they would charge for it.
It can be dodgy cable, bad f-connections, water in cable, something local like power cables nearby, it could be a DECT telephone, soooo many different causes.

Sun Outages

Hi,

There are things called sun outages. They happen twice a year and last for some minutes for a period of a few days typically once during the spring and once during the autumn.

Consider the arc that the sun traces during the day from east to west. In the middle of summer, the arc will be high around midday (hence it gets hot). However in the middle of winter, the arc will be much lower (and the sun's strength is weaker).

At some point during the spring (and autumn) the sun's arc will take it on a path that crosses the focus of the satellite dish. When that happens, the sun's energy will be focussed/reflected into the satellite dish LNB. This is seen as noise by the LNB (and hence the satellite receiver). The receiver is "swamped" by this noise.

When the sun passes away from the dishes focus, the system returns to normal.

Nothing you can do really. There are predictions online that can calculate when these (potential) outages happen.

Alternatively, pray for a few minutes rain!!!

Cheers

It is caused by sunlight but it's not solar outtages.

I can tell how sunny it is outside simply by tuning into Sky News - and i don't mean to see the weather report, lol

If the skies are overcast, i get a great picture on all freqs, but if the sun is out a few channels start pixelating, most noticible on Sky news, Scuzz and Flaunt.

I've ordered a new 0.2dB LNB and new quality sat coax, hopefully this'll help.

Last edited:
Back