terminating rent agreement

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
my girlfriend is about to move house, the one shes in she has to give a months notice, which she tried to do yesterday. she was told that she can only give her notice on the same day of the month that her contract began, and has to be in writing delivered through the post. the date on her original contract is the 11th of the month, so they are basicly saying she cant give her months notice untill the 11th of next month, then has to see another month out

im pretty sure they cannot do this

this letting agency in the past has refused to give her a reference, ive been in myself and asked for her, and was told yep ok, then 3 weeks later told nobody went in to ask for one, so i dont trust them at all

does anyone have any experience with anything like this, or some direct links? i can either fax or hand deliver the notice, that way its 100% guaranteed delivered as i know if its sent through the post theyll say they havent received it

ta for looking

she needs to check her tenacncy agreement iam sure there talking a laod of b/s i rent out a house and i dont have any sort of silly stipulations like that

im going to look over it today, im not an expert, but if there is something daft like that in there i should be able to find it

just in case it matters, shes been in the house over 2 years, so its not like shes trying to cut a 12 month agreement short or nothing like that, the rent is also paid by dss each month

i cant see there being a problem just tell her to give the notice and move out when she states is there a deposit ? shes gona need to get that back if they start being arsey just tell them your gona have to seek legal advice and they will give up

i really cant see there being any major problems if for some reason they are actually not lieing then she can still move out but she may have to pay 1 extra months rent

i think she had to put a bond down of about a grand, which is a months rent and 500 quid to cover and damages. theres nothing at all damaged in the house, so if anything they should only be able to argue about the months rent that theyre holding

Take lots of digital photos of all the house. I've known agents to hold deposits back for damage when its only wear and tear.

A friend of mine was given a decorating bill for damage caused by a leaking heating pipe that was reported to the agent on the day he got the keys and every month for over a year.

The agent backed down when Small claim was issued jointly against them and the owner for return of the deposit and costs.

Back