Terminal services server

psham

Member ++
Reaction score
Anyone know about a terminal services server..
Basically i need to be able to remotely dial in to a server and have multiple users using the same program at the same time...
I have a pc set up at the moment and a user can remotely dial in to it but they knock off whoever is using the pc .
I was told i need a terminal services server to allow multiple users to get around this..
Any ideas?? Can i set up my existing pc as a server or do i need to buy a server( If so what could anyone recomend?)

what machine do you need access to? What os is it running?
The Office Machine is running xp pro.. The Backoffice software is on this machine.. Two remote locations and the office location need to be able to access the backoffice software at the same time without knocking each other off!

Windows XP remote access only allows 1 user in - this will kick the user off physically using the PC.

You need to run Windows 2003 in terminal services mode (as apposed to administrative mode that only allows two remote connections).

This will need a Terminal Services License server and TSCALS long term.

You need a version of Windows Server on there mate. I think from 2000 up supports it. You setup the server as normal, then its just installed as an extra feature of the OS.

You then need to think about the licensing, as terminal services has its own set of CALs. Although you can get around the Server 2000 ones, as it issues temporary ones which can be deleted by deleting a reg key, or using a batch file to do it at startup. This then forces the server to issue a new one each time the user logs on.

Getting a new one machine depends on whether its your own desktop machine, or obviously a normal file server.

Just a slight correction to hackmax post - windows 2003 will allow three connections, one of them can be the console if needed.

However, the others are quite correct. You wont be able to have more than one person on XP Pro at a time :(

am i as well buying a separate server altogether and networking it to the office pc.. ?

You may be better of getting in a dedicated server to handle all of this. Just my opinion though.

What does the machine currently do?

it runs genesis backoffice software for 2 shops. One of the shops dials in remotley to use this software. Its starting to get annoying now getting cut off when another user logs on while i'm using backoffice..
Any ideas on a server.. What spec would i need?

Dell do a good range of small business servers. I think their prices start at around the £400 mark.

Just a slight correction to hackmax post - windows 2003 will allow three connections, one of them can be the console if needed.

However, the others are quite correct. You wont be able to have more than one person on XP Pro at a time :(

Yes but you can't use that from a client PC unless you force it (ie use mstsc /console) - which will in turn boot the physical server desktop off - this is REALLY not recommended for day to day remote access. Also XP SP3 / Vista SP1 disables remote access to the console session (session 0) due to security reasons.

Back