Telephone socket extension help?

zamzing

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am changing my broadband provider from virgin to sky very soon, and need to know the best way to run an extension from my downstairs phone socket to the bedroom upstairs (where the computer is).

Currently I am thinking of purchasing one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=882

but am concerned that I may not get the full speed of my connection.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me the best way to run an extension, so that I dont experience any drop in speed. Is the above extension any good or is there a better way?

Thanks guys, any help will be much appreciated.

Any extension you use could deteriate the speed and signal mate. You could get some cable yourself, and fit it.

In answer to your question, that will work fine though you can get all the bits cheaper.

As janobi says if you can place the router on the master socket then that will be best thing. But sweat it to much if you can't At the end of the day if you think you are having a speed issue then you can always compare master socket vs extension.

Also if you have a really old style master socket you can get a 'booster' faceplate which potentially reduces interference and increases speed.

Any extension you use could deteriate the speed and signal mate. You could get some cable yourself, and fit it.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Janobo, do you mean I could install another socket? if so, what kind of cable do I need and where to run the cable from?

Thanks

Go down your local B & Q, you can get telephone cable, clips and sockets with punch down tool from there.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Janobo, do you mean I could install another socket? if so, what kind of cable do I need and where to run the cable from?

Thanks

Who si Janobo? lol.

Yes mate, you can run another socket. There are some engineers here, like myself who could do it for you, or do it yourself mate, its not rocket science.

Back