"Technomate TM-2T can do more than the Vu+ Duo" ????

Merliin

DW Regular
Reaction score
Just read this on another site "Technomate TM-2T can do more than the Vu+ Duo" ???

Maybe TM are now posting threads about how good their TM-T2 is as the first release of this receiver was a total disaster,

I find it very hard to believe that they have now overtaken the Vu+ Duo,

What do you think about this claim ?

They are a few years apart, there is bound to be a difference. Vu have released a newer receiver. I suspect people will start off loading their receivers and prices will start dropping further across the industry.

The 2T has only been released once unless you count the finger marks one separately. It is the Twin which had a failed initial launch. The VIX team were in direct contact with the developers and the driver issues were sorted, hence the second release. There are still a few issues left, the same as with any manufacturer. Hopefully TM have learnt their lessons and do not deny things.

The question I would ask "Technomate TM-2T can do more than the Vu+ Duo" ????
maybe it can on the box but does the firmware allow it ?
I dont know and tbh I dont really want to lol but a question I would ask myself if I was in the market for a new receiver

:)

All i can say is the Duo works and does what it says on the tin :)

If a new receiver can't match a 3 to 4 year old receiver like the duo it's pretty embarrassing. The duo is used for comparisons because it set the benchmark for an alternative to a dreambox 8000 at a much lower price backed with good support.

with all the software now running identical on the receivers, the 2T can output an RF signal, the Duo cant do that ;)

I'm thinking about this as Technomate are listening and providing good support hence why you can run vix on the new TM receivers. For the price I think this is worth a shot?

I have had the TM-Twin-OE for almost one year. The core problem was the drivers and the middle man not conveying what the problems were. This has been fixed. I also have a TM Single. I can't comment about the 2T as I don't have one. But both my receivers work very well and do what they say on the box.

The issues I referred to are as below. They are minor and do not impact the main working of the receiver. You will probably find they do not matter to you or most other users. Other manufacturers also have bugs in their receivers.

1. When syncing the time on a non UK channel, the date and time is wrong. It is fine on the UK one. You can always sync over the net so that time is always correct.
2. If you use a HDMI switch, when inactive, the receiver will stop sending a signal and will not kick in properly when you change back. As I also use a Dell monitor, this loss of signal also happens without a switch. Not a major issue but an issue nonetheless. There is no problem in active viewing or when there is no switch.
3. Although using the same CPU as the Vu duo, Picture in Picture does not work. It is not an advertised feature, so not a big deal. However it would be nice to have it working.
4 (Probable). There may be an issue with the values it shows for the signal details. Changing between db and % does not seem to alter the displayed data. It always stays in % and I doubt it goes over 87%. I am using a TD110 and Inverto Ultra LNB. This does not affect the viewing of the channels. Unfortunately for me, I upgraded from a TD88 because of this issue thinking I would get better.
5. The Ci slots do not work in E2 mode. You can use them in the alternate software.
6.Resolved. Previously, stopping Mgcamd would still leave it running in the background. It seems this has been fixed. I had mentioned this in a PM to one of the Vix guys.

Apart from the HDMI issue, both receivers work to my needs. I don't think many people have complained about it. My 8 year old is quite happy with both receivers and can operate them unaided unless I am in test mode and wires are all over the place. I have never used a vu duo, so can't compare. However other people have preferred the 2T and Twin. In comparison with a clone DM800se, the single has considerably more memory and is a lot faster. Not worth comparing with a clone dm800hd.

The best thing would be to go into a satellite shop and see the available receivers in action and choose one that does what you need it to do.

TM have a bad history of late and other people hate the factory that produces teh TM receivers. They also made ITgate receivers. TM also spouted some stupid comments about other people and threatened to sue DW. Personally I find that the person who was threatened with court action has been fair/right in his behaviour. Despite this, he stills goes out to help TM users although he has made his mind not to use TM receivers again. Others have taken umbrance to the actions of TM and their attitude to TM products is somewhat biased. TM don't help either by their actions and inactions.

Whatever you decide, decide on what is best for you. Until the Vix fix, I would have no hesitation in telling people to keep away from TM products and I almost returned my one. However, today I would have no issue in recommending the latest TM linux products.

their closed source boxs are very good its linux were they dropped a massive clanger,regards mdt

The closed source boxes had there faults too esp the power switches on the tm6800/6900... (note: im not saying other makers dont have issues with there boxes)... regardless of software theres better choices out there (imo) so i wont be buying the said brand again and im one of the lucky ones who didnt purchase the dog of a box they released (think we all know which one that was)...thank god.

I will say there customer support was ok when my 6800 died within a month (the known power switch) and they sent me a 6900 as a replacement but once bitten and all that... boxes not for me again - customer service to me was good (thinking back im not even sure it was TM themselves or the company i bought it from).

Personal choice much like apple vs android and xbox vs ps3 ect....

Last edited:
Just to get back on track does any owner of this model know which BCM chipset it uses as in is it the same as the twin/duo and what are the tuners like are they soldered to the board like a duo or are they different again

Tuners soldered to the board. Twin has loopout for input 1, the other do not have loop out.

BCM7335. Has same fin heatsink.

Tuners soldered to the board. Twin has loopout for input 1, the other do not have loop out.

BCM7335. Has same fin heatsink.

Thanks for that Abu so is it safe to assume the Tuners are identical to the Duo being as they share the same BCM 7335 chipset

Don't know for definite. I can open one up and check for you unless it is under the mobo. You will need to tell where to check.

Don't know for definite. I can open one up and check for you unless it is under the mobo. You will need to tell where to check.

you would have to take the lid off and have a look near the tuners, I know the Duo's are lime 2 small cubes around the size of sugar cubes soldered to the board which is exactly the same as what they have also done in the Solo2.

The 5402 for instance looks more like a Plug & Play tuner with just the tuner legs soldered to the main board.

the tuners in the 2T are completley encased in a metal can, but, ive removed the top of this, and taken a photo, ill upload it in the morning for you :)

Thanks for that Abu so is it safe to assume the Tuners are identical to the Duo being as they share the same BCM 7335 chipset
Not 100% sure, but I think the tuner is BCM 3445. There are two sets of traces which lead to the chip. Picture attached.

Attachments

• TM Twin Tuner maybe.png
    TM Twin Tuner maybe.png
    412 KB · Views: 7
Back