Technomate 6900 Or Sky Hd?

nirelandguy

Member ++
Reaction score
What would be the best choice for HD? Buying a new TM Combo or getting Sky hd in? For handyness I would say Sky HD but the extra £10 a month would soon add up.

What would you go for?

Depends what you want from it - If you want to watch Sky's HD channels, there's no other option than the SkyHD box.

Don't forget there is now a Humax HD Freesat box which can work in non-freesat mode, can control a motorised dish etc, no patch as yet, but who knows whats around the corner - only £150 quid as well :)

The 2 options you want to compare provide 2 very different solutions for tv, so it is difficult for anyone to guess what you would like, and how much money you like to spend on television entertainment?

In my opinion the technomate is simply too expensive. However, if you want hacked or free HD channels, alongside as much choice as possible, then the technomate is very simple and will gain lots for free. There are many other choices of receiver and you can go in either direction> cheaper/more expensive or easier(freesat)/more complex(linux).

Obviously comparing with skyHD then the tehnomate is cheap. But sky provide much more HD content than the technomate can provide. If you want movies & sport in HD then continuously paying out £660 per year seriously makes you think the money could be better spent elsewhere. What about blu-ray films, hire, purchase, or High Definition downloading. £900 budget in your first year will certainly give you a great start.
With sky there is a low budget alternative though if you dont go for movies & sports. You can just get the 2 mixes that include the popular HD channels, costing £17 plus £10 for HD option. Then at # £27 # per month you will get a large amount of HD content ~SkyOnc, Nat Geo, Discovery, History, FX, Ch4, BBC, whatever else, plus the simplicity and ability to pause/record.

There really are so many options that you need to decide what you want and most importantly what your budget is.

Heres an idea, is there an HD non Sky receiver that will take a Sky card and keep alive thus giving me the best of both worlds IE Sky and hacked packages like Premiere? Did I read something about a Darkbox can do this? The TM 6800/6900 do seem way over priced

There isnt a single set-top box simple solution yet. Also if you were paying subscription to sky i'm sure you would also want all the extra benefits like epg & tv guide, pause live, record, easy software etc.

If you want skyHD then really you need a skyhd box, which wont work with european sat. If you want to add euro channels, or perhaps Digitalb HD package, or whatever else its going to need a separate system. You could add a dragon or diablo cam to a technomate or darkbox, but you lose the benefits you pay for, and have to still have the sky box to keep the card updated

Back