• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tax relief on lease motor vehicles

mozr

Banned
Hi.

My old banger (no, not the wife) has had it, and I'm looking at lease hire through my business.

Question: Do I get full tax relief on the monthly rental?

I know petrol becomes a grey area, and I'm not that arsed about it at the moment. It will be used for private use most of the time (as I rarely have to go out for work purposes during working hours). I just want to know whether I get tax relief on the car itself.

Cheers.

should do m8. i lease my vans and i put them in as expenses so u will get the tax relief from it and the fuel or miles whichever way u do it, and any other cost it willoccur including tax, mot and ins. evrything that comes out of your own pocket for your business u will get the tax relief from it....

Munkey

Inactive User
I'm not up to date on lease car rental and tax relief but IIRC the most tax effective way of using a car for company use is to own the car and claim back the mileage. The car you'll drive and its CO2 emmisions will have a bearing on the actual monies that you can claim back.

mozr

Banned
Thanks.

I will certainly take C02 emmisions into consideration when I choose the car.

Its a strange situation really. Im not bothered about owning a car. Most people I know are happy to break even after a minimum finance agreement is finished and they get a newer car.

Leasing a car through the business hopefully gives me the legitimacy to claim back the full rental/MOT/etc. (IE, goes through my books as a monthly expense, nice and neat) As I said, I will actually use the car 'for work purposes' rarely.

I'm just after a way of getting a car and paying for it before net profit at the end of each month.

just put it all through the business m8. its up to hmrc to prove u aren't using it. my vans are well used for business 24/7